PIP - awarded enhanced, but do I still challenge?

Your helpful advice would be very welcome.

My daughter (16) was awarded enhanced for both the care and mobility elements of PIP scoring 12 points on each (minimum required).  We are relieved and feel she deserves the enhanced judgement.

However, there were some decisions that were nonsensical.  I.e. she was awarded 0/12 for communication. She is autistic! Communication is THE ISSUE she struggles with!

I don't know what to do now.  Do I ask them to reconsider or just leave it?  My worry is that if I leave it, what happens when they review it in 3 years time and they give her the same again and I didn't challenge it this time?  If I challenge it, could they downgrade her on other elements and downgrade her from the enhanced rate?

Do I just write to them to lodge that we do not agree with some aspects of the decision but accept the overall outcome.

Thank you for reading.

Parents
  • I got enhanced daily living and only 4 points for mobility and I only briefly looked at the points they had awarded me, and I say briefly, because like you, I didn’t agree with how they had distributed the points, and certainly at the time I applied for the benefit, I think I scored higher on mobility. However, after waiting for so long and also having an esa assessment round about the same time, I decided to just leave it and deal with the renewal when it comes. 

However, in your case, I would contact a disability rights group or somebody like DIAL who regularly assist with these things and perhaps just ask their advice. This will both put your mind at rest and also give you the most reliable type of advice. 

• I got enhanced daily living and only 4 points for mobility and I only briefly looked at the points they had awarded me, and I say briefly, because like you, I didn’t agree with how they had distributed the points, and certainly at the time I applied for the benefit, I think I scored higher on mobility. However, after waiting for so long and also having an esa assessment round about the same time, I decided to just leave it and deal with the renewal when it comes. 

However, in your case, I would contact a disability rights group or somebody like DIAL who regularly assist with these things and perhaps just ask their advice. This will both put your mind at rest and also give you the most reliable type of advice. 

Children
No Data