School invoicing for broken ipad ? fair or not

Dear all

I just want to test the waters with this one. My 6 year old son is in mainstream school with an EHCP and 1:1. He has profound sensory issues and when dysregulated can bite done on hard objects. This rarely happens and has not happened in school until last week, when he bit down on an ipad. The response of school is to invoice us for the cost of replacing. Is this reasonable. To me it feels inherently unfair as the damage was not intentional and a direct result of his dysregulation. Furthermore I do not have an understanding of what happened before to lead to this outcome?? 

I have told the school that I think an investigation of what happened should be there immediate course of action rather than asking for money. They disagree.

Any thoughts welcome..

Thank you

Parents
  • I’m pretty sure that the school would have insurance to cover the cost of replacement, breakages happen in schools. And yes it does sound a bit unfair if it was as a result of his disability 

• I would imagine the school is probably trying to avoid having to use their insurance policy as a) it would take a long time and there would be a lot of paperwork involved b) they may have to pay an excess which possibly isn't worth it for 1 iPad c) it may not be covered under accidental damage even though it was not done on purpose. Insurance companies are not well known for wanting to pay out. I agree it may not seem fair when it is not the child's fault but I can see why the school would do this.

Reply Children