School invoicing for broken ipad ? fair or not

Dear all

I just want to test the waters with this one. My 6 year old son is in mainstream school with an EHCP and 1:1. He has profound sensory issues and when dysregulated can bite done on hard objects. This rarely happens and has not happened in school until last week, when he bit down on an ipad. The response of school is to invoice us for the cost of replacing. Is this reasonable. To me it feels inherently unfair as the damage was not intentional and a direct result of his dysregulation. Furthermore I do not have an understanding of what happened before to lead to this outcome?? 

I have told the school that I think an investigation of what happened should be there immediate course of action rather than asking for money. They disagree.

Any thoughts welcome..

Thank you

Parents
  • I would take it to the heart. I would sit down quietly and meditate on it. I would ask my heart, what is the most peaceful, the most loving and the kindest response that I can give to this. The school have an iPad that needs replacing or repairing. I would ask my heart, what is the most peaceful response I can give. Then I would follow what my heart dictated, without question. I wouldn’t allow myself to get into a dispute in my mind about whether this is the right or the wrong action to take. I trust that my heart always takes right action in that it’s the path of peace and non resistance. 

Whatever method you use to help you come to your decision about this, trust it, and see what happens. We are only responsible for what we do or say, so as soon as you’ve made your decision, and you’ve carried out the action, let it go. 

What do you want to achieve? My objective is to always maintain a level of peace, forgiveness and gratitude etc, so I can measure my actions or decisions against them. Would my decision bring these things to me? If not, I make a different choice. 

You can also kindly request to read their policy on broken things. And if you feel like giving them an explanation, just tell them that you always like to read the small print, that it’s just you’re way, it helps keep the mind balanced. You don’t have to fall out with them. This is a perfectly reasonable request, and it’s not wise to hand money over to anybody without reading the small print. And if it turns out you are responsible and/or you agree to pay, you also have the option of paying at a level that’s acceptable to you. 

You could also ask to look at their insurance policy and you can look at your own, you might be covered there somehow. It’s up to you how you approach this. As you suggested, it’s reasonable to ask for a full explanation of what happened, leading up to it etc, none the least so they can try to avoid a repeat etc, but also to justify their request. My way is to go to my heart, because I like a harmonious stress free life and reading documents etc and dealing with this stuff stresses me out, but that’s not to say my heart would necessarily say pay, and if it didn’t, I would follow its direction. But at all times I would maintain a friendly relationship with the school and remember that you both have equally valid voices in this. And above all else, to you even have the money to pay for it? There are many considerations to consider. I hope writing about it and reading other people’s view points etc will help you come to a satisfactory decision. Good luck Blush

• I would take it to the heart. I would sit down quietly and meditate on it. I would ask my heart, what is the most peaceful, the most loving and the kindest response that I can give to this. The school have an iPad that needs replacing or repairing. I would ask my heart, what is the most peaceful response I can give. Then I would follow what my heart dictated, without question. I wouldn’t allow myself to get into a dispute in my mind about whether this is the right or the wrong action to take. I trust that my heart always takes right action in that it’s the path of peace and non resistance. 

Whatever method you use to help you come to your decision about this, trust it, and see what happens. We are only responsible for what we do or say, so as soon as you’ve made your decision, and you’ve carried out the action, let it go. 

What do you want to achieve? My objective is to always maintain a level of peace, forgiveness and gratitude etc, so I can measure my actions or decisions against them. Would my decision bring these things to me? If not, I make a different choice. 

You can also kindly request to read their policy on broken things. And if you feel like giving them an explanation, just tell them that you always like to read the small print, that it’s just you’re way, it helps keep the mind balanced. You don’t have to fall out with them. This is a perfectly reasonable request, and it’s not wise to hand money over to anybody without reading the small print. And if it turns out you are responsible and/or you agree to pay, you also have the option of paying at a level that’s acceptable to you. 

You could also ask to look at their insurance policy and you can look at your own, you might be covered there somehow. It’s up to you how you approach this. As you suggested, it’s reasonable to ask for a full explanation of what happened, leading up to it etc, none the least so they can try to avoid a repeat etc, but also to justify their request. My way is to go to my heart, because I like a harmonious stress free life and reading documents etc and dealing with this stuff stresses me out, but that’s not to say my heart would necessarily say pay, and if it didn’t, I would follow its direction. But at all times I would maintain a friendly relationship with the school and remember that you both have equally valid voices in this. And above all else, to you even have the money to pay for it? There are many considerations to consider. I hope writing about it and reading other people’s view points etc will help you come to a satisfactory decision. Good luck Blush

Children
No Data