Assessment outcome - Would/did you take your child?

Morning all. After some advice please? My son's 13 and, if he is autistic then he is pretty 'high functioning' (though I do struggle with that term).

He's been through assessment via Clinical Partners (NHS are using them to cut down waiting list) and we've been offered a feedback appointment next Monday evening. When I asked if our son should come along too they said it was up to us! I've not done this before and I now don't know whether it's best to go without him.

He's not met the psychiatrist who will be delivering the verdict: we saw her and he saw a psychologist (who started the assessment with "Do you know anyone autistic? do you think you're like them"? And then I had to leave.). It feels like it's his life so he ought to be there, but at the same time discussion can be more frank if he's not.

I'm interested to know what others with older children have done in this situation?

Thanks

Parents
  • At 13 I think he should have a say as to whether he goes. Does he want to be there? Being there may give him a better understanding of the diagnosis should he get one. It will also give him the chance to ask any questions should he have any. 

• At 13 I think he should have a say as to whether he goes. Does he want to be there? Being there may give him a better understanding of the diagnosis should he get one. It will also give him the chance to ask any questions should he have any. 

Children
No Data