8 year old asd son struggling with rejection from school friend

My son is 8 years old and has suspected Asperger syndrome...we’re waiting for an official ASD diagnosis. Meanwhile, he’s been struggling with a sudden and unexplained rejection from his best friend at school. My son is very sensitive and struggles socially, so he has found this rejection very hard to deal with and is very confused by it. The reason for this rejection is unknown and, tbh, unimportant at this point, as kids will be kids and these things happen all the time in school, but what I’m really worried about is how this is affecting my son. I’ve noticed him displaying symptoms of depression at just 8 years old and I can see that the situation is really playing on his mind. I want desperately to help him, but, not having had a diagnosis yet and therefore any therapy or even advice, I’m not sure what to do. I have been thinking about talking to my son’s teacher to make them aware of the situation, but not sure how that would help or if they can even do anything about it. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Please help! Thank you.

Parents
  • Hello, I’m sorry to hear about your son feeling rejected.

NAS does offer a parent to parent service which you can find here. It may be worth looking at this site as well. Ambitious About Autism

It may be helpful to talk to your son’s teacher, as they might be able to offer some insight regarding the social dynamics of the classroom. All the best, Graham.

• Hello, I’m sorry to hear about your son feeling rejected.

NAS does offer a parent to parent service which you can find here. It may be worth looking at this site as well. Ambitious About Autism

It may be helpful to talk to your son’s teacher, as they might be able to offer some insight regarding the social dynamics of the classroom. All the best, Graham.

Children
No Data