Supporting autism in mainstream primary

Hello! 

Im a primary school teacher looking for ideas/tips on how best to support an autistic child that will in my p6 class after the holidays. 

Ive met him a few times (I’m new to the school but been teaching for 15 years) and he struggles with the academic side of school but has got some friendships within the class. He has told me repeatedly that he has low self esteem and confidence. The school are keen to limit his laptop time as it causes a meltdown when he has to come off it. 

I will have some support but looking for ideas/tips that he can do when he’s finished a piece of work and I’m teaching another group. 

The previous teacher told me that it is either 1:1 with him and ignore the others or ignore him and teach the rest but impossible to do both. 

Any help/tips would e gratefully received! Thanks! 

Parents
  • General strategies for a child with autism are visual schedules (symbols for each subject/task usually made with velcro so they can be changed accordingly); timed activities including choice time so the child knows when it will finish; tailoring work to the child's interests when possible; deal board - now and next: now it is English, next it is choice time; chunked activities; reward charts and lots of visual symbols and reduced language. Melt downs for having to come off a laptop is quite common. Maybe see what else the child really likes to do as motivators are very helpful with children with autism, as is being aware of any triggers. Being aware of their sensory needs is also important. Both what to avoid and what can help. For example a child may be calmer if allowed to regularly bounce on a gym ball. That is just an example, it is completely individual to the child.

A safe space can also be incredibly helpful for children with autism- a work station away from other children, a comfy corner with cushions, what ever works for that child really.

Most of it is getting to know the child. Parents are a good source if the previous teacher isn't giving you any strategies. The way instructions are given can make a big difference. For some children with autism asking them to do something is no good. E.g. Would you like to sit on the carpet? No! For these children they need the instruction to be short, clear and direct. Other children find direct instructions too demanding. In this case a closed choice is usually the best strategy. E.g. Would you like to sit here or here. It doesn't leave the same opening for no as they only have 2 options.

Sorry if some of that was just stating the obvious.

• General strategies for a child with autism are visual schedules (symbols for each subject/task usually made with velcro so they can be changed accordingly); timed activities including choice time so the child knows when it will finish; tailoring work to the child's interests when possible; deal board - now and next: now it is English, next it is choice time; chunked activities; reward charts and lots of visual symbols and reduced language. Melt downs for having to come off a laptop is quite common. Maybe see what else the child really likes to do as motivators are very helpful with children with autism, as is being aware of any triggers. Being aware of their sensory needs is also important. Both what to avoid and what can help. For example a child may be calmer if allowed to regularly bounce on a gym ball. That is just an example, it is completely individual to the child.

A safe space can also be incredibly helpful for children with autism- a work station away from other children, a comfy corner with cushions, what ever works for that child really.

Most of it is getting to know the child. Parents are a good source if the previous teacher isn't giving you any strategies. The way instructions are given can make a big difference. For some children with autism asking them to do something is no good. E.g. Would you like to sit on the carpet? No! For these children they need the instruction to be short, clear and direct. Other children find direct instructions too demanding. In this case a closed choice is usually the best strategy. E.g. Would you like to sit here or here. It doesn't leave the same opening for no as they only have 2 options.

Sorry if some of that was just stating the obvious.

Children
No Data