Referral nerves

Hi I'm new here.  We've recently had a diagnosis of Aspergers for my sister at 35 years old. My 13 year old son is a mini version of her and always has been very clever but socially he struggles. As he is hitting puberty things are starting to become more apparent and he is struggling more and more, saying he can't cope at school even though the teachers have no issues with his work or behaviour , he constantly talks about his interests and repeats whole books to us or how to play computer games, he gets very anxious when out and will shy away from noisy areas, so I've now got an appointment for him with the gp to ask for a referral to camhs. My query is what can I expect from the gp? I've been keeping a behaviour diary and have looked up resources on the NAS website armed with these (I know she won't have time to read it all) is it likely she will put the referral in ?we've been before for suspected anxiety when he transitioned to secondary school but another other gp said he was just a sensitive boy and my son has taken offence to him as he sent him out of the room to discuss his thoughts with me, son also convinced they won't believe him. Any advice on what we can expect at the appointment and time frames for camhs would be greatly appreciated.

Parents
  • Hi Elley82,

You may find it helpful to have a look at the NAS Website page on diagnosis and what to expect:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children/national-plan-children.aspx

This page includes a link to the National Autism Plan for Children (found under "the diagnostic assessment: on the day") this may help you with what you are likely to expect and what you can ask during the assessment . Please scroll down to the bottom of the page of the plan and go to page 3 on summary report, page 11 for full report for the Essential Components for a complete multi agency assessment.

Hope you find something here that helps but please keep replying if you would like any further information.

Kind regards,

Heather - Mod

• Hi Elley82,

You may find it helpful to have a look at the NAS Website page on diagnosis and what to expect:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children/national-plan-children.aspx

This page includes a link to the National Autism Plan for Children (found under "the diagnostic assessment: on the day") this may help you with what you are likely to expect and what you can ask during the assessment . Please scroll down to the bottom of the page of the plan and go to page 3 on summary report, page 11 for full report for the Essential Components for a complete multi agency assessment.

Hope you find something here that helps but please keep replying if you would like any further information.

Kind regards,

Heather - Mod

Children
No Data