Appealing PIP decision

My son (16) has ASD and ADHD.  We found out today that he has scored zero on every element of the PIP application which means no PIP and DLA stopping.  

They appear to have not listened to a word we said at the face-to-face meeting or to anything written on the application form.  

I intend to ask ask them to ‘review the decision’ but was wondering if anyone out there had had a similar experience and whether they had any luck with the review.

Thanks

Parents Reply Children
  • I think Chips write some good advice.

We all have a tendency to play things down and pretend we understand or 'are OK' with everything we feel we're supposed to be. It's important not to do that, and focus on how things are at their worst - this is really the no.1 thing to be aware of.

PIP write that I was "relaxed and talking to my son in the waiting room". In reality, being in an empty room while being offered hot drinks with your family, is not representative of an average day. It's hard to say what their intention was, but I felt there was an effort to empathise scenarios which could be interpreted as things were 'not so bad'.

Again, in my case, I found a common theme in the letters addressing my appeal, was the avoidance of nuance, essentially treating me as a person who did not have Autism, but had 'some' struggles. I found it worth highlighting oversimplification as they can be so ubiquitous, but really shouldn't be in the context of a competent assessor.

It is often stressful and I really feel for your daughter.. .I ended up attending a hearing. They were however relaxed and friendly, but importantly had someone qualified. 

If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to reply.

• You need to emphasise how it is for her on her worst day. Basically, neurotypical people are able to cope with stress a lot more easily than Autistic people. Think of the times she had total meltdown, disasters that happened. Write down the things that happen in such situations. Because it doesn't have to be constant difficulties. Having really bad difficulties at certain times can cost Autistic people a lot. It can cost us relationships, money, career advancement. So think carefully about it. Good luck! And if you need help maybe try joining Twitter and search for #ActuallyAutistic people and read their tweets. Lots of people share details of the difficulties of living with Autism and describe it well, if you struggle to understand how to put it in words.