Accessing support for employment

My 21 year old son has been in and out of employment since finishing college 3 years ago. He completed an NVQ level 2 in sports coaching but has never managed to secure a job in this field. He has had a range of jobs some of which haven’t worked out because they required him to carry out tasks that he struggled with because of his dispraxia. A job in a warehouse was more suited to his skill set but he  lost this job due to his immature behaviour (trying to make his colleagues laugh!). I really feel he would benefit from having a ‘mentor’ who could accompany him to work until such times as he has learned the role and understands what’s required in terms of workplace behaviour. Has anyone managed to obtain this type of support and if so how did they go about it? Grateful for any advice or suggestions. 

Parents
  • Thanks for this.   He has had some assistance with applying for jobs, sounds similar to the services offered by The Shaw Trust, but so far hasn't had any workplace support.  As far as I know he hasn't had any contact with Access to Work and this is something I will look into - so thank you for the information.  One of the barriers to accessing support has been that my son prefers not to disclose his diagnoses (of autism, dyspraxia and mild learning disabilities). Although we have talked many times about what autism and dyspraxia mean, he has little (no) insight into how he personally is impacted by these conditions. For example, he has just applied for and been successful in getting a job in a local pub as a dish washer (he starts tomorrow) but I fear yet again it will not work out for him because, with this particular job his sensitivities to do with touching certain things and tendency to drop things will be problematic. The idea of a "mentor" appeals because I think, with the right person, my son would accept advice and support in a way that he won't from me or his mother Although the pressing issue is support with employment, I think he could also benefit from having a mentor to help him with other aspects of life where he experiences difficulties, for example, maintaining relationships and developing independence.  Is this a role that anyone has had any experience of and if so how was this support funded?

• Thanks for this.   He has had some assistance with applying for jobs, sounds similar to the services offered by The Shaw Trust, but so far hasn't had any workplace support.  As far as I know he hasn't had any contact with Access to Work and this is something I will look into - so thank you for the information.  One of the barriers to accessing support has been that my son prefers not to disclose his diagnoses (of autism, dyspraxia and mild learning disabilities). Although we have talked many times about what autism and dyspraxia mean, he has little (no) insight into how he personally is impacted by these conditions. For example, he has just applied for and been successful in getting a job in a local pub as a dish washer (he starts tomorrow) but I fear yet again it will not work out for him because, with this particular job his sensitivities to do with touching certain things and tendency to drop things will be problematic. The idea of a "mentor" appeals because I think, with the right person, my son would accept advice and support in a way that he won't from me or his mother Although the pressing issue is support with employment, I think he could also benefit from having a mentor to help him with other aspects of life where he experiences difficulties, for example, maintaining relationships and developing independence.  Is this a role that anyone has had any experience of and if so how was this support funded?

Children
No Data