Autism and speech delay

Hi. My nearly two year old daughter is showing traits of autism. They are all mild and subtle so far except understanding and speaking. No words and little understanding. She gestures a little now and pulls to what she wants. Near normal eye contact. Please can mums with non verbal children let me know what symptoms there child showed at 24 months old please. Want to know the chances of willshe will learn to speak one day. Either way she is lovely and my beautiful girl  Thank you 

Parents
  • Hi,

My son was 2.5 before he had his first words. He tantrummed  often when he didn't get his way but did seemed to have some understanding. He didn't really play attention to other children and had a hard time sharing toys with his sister. We started pivotal response therapy with an organization called Blue Sky Autism and it has completely changed him in just two months! He now has over 30 words, can follow simple instructions, and his tantrums have drastically decreased. I hope this helps!

• Just one quick addition to my comment. I realise now that blue sky autism is a private therapy based in Scotland. Can you tell me how you accessed it and is it costly ? 

• I actually accessed their London branch. Our gp recommended we look into their services. We didn't need a formal diagnosis but just called in for information. For our family it is affordable compared to some other services we looked into. They have no minimum amount of therapist hours. They do parent coaching during sessions so I am able to implement what the therapist is doing on my own at home making it a bit cheaper.

• Thank you.  I have emailed for some information. I think if the portage thing doesn’t work and I get no joy from early years intervention then I will look in to it. She ms two today. Hopefully we can get her talking soon ! I think I’m kind of doing some of the PRT techniques already. They seem to be helping xx

• Thank you.  I have emailed for some information. I think if the portage thing doesn’t work and I get no joy from early years intervention then I will look in to it. She ms two today. Hopefully we can get her talking soon ! I think I’m kind of doing some of the PRT techniques already. They seem to be helping xx

Children
No Data