What should a school do upon diagnosis?

Hi, I have a six year old son who has just been diagnosed with high function asd, the assessment states that he requires 1 to 1 support in the classroom, he needs a referral for speech therapy, and OT. We have been battling with the school. He is in a mainstream school, they are saying that the report is only suggestions and that they do not need to do what it says, and they are not going to implement any additional support more than what he already gets which is very limited. They are not going to apply for high needs funding and will not even complete an EHCP. I know we can initiate that ourselves but can the school just choose to ignore this report? 

  • Hi NAS36706

    Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time getting appropriate support for your son. I am attaching some links to information that I hope you will find useful because it is important he has the right support.

    You may want to contact our Education Rights Service who provides information, support and advice on educational provision and entitlements. Please see the following link for further information: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/education-rights.aspx

    It can help to pass on information specifically for education professionals about autism spectrum disorders. The following link contains information written for education professionals: http://www.autism.org.uk/professionals/teachers.aspx

    The following article contains a lot of helpful information about education for a child with an autism:http://www.autism.org.uk/about/in-education.aspx This includes information regarding getting extra support for your child in their education setting.

    You can search for schools that cater for children with an autism spectrum disorder on our Autism Services Directory: www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

    This is a link to our helpline:

    You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who are best suited to answer. They can provide you with information and advice on your issue. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm).Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

    Please see the following link for further information:


    Parent to parent:

    You may like to contact our Parent to Parent service who offers emotional support to parents and carers of children or adults with autism. This service is confidential and run by trained parent volunteers who are all parents themselves of a child or adult with autism .

    You contact the team on 0808 800 4106. Please leave a message and the team will call you back as soon as possible at a time that suits you, including evenings and weekends. Alternatively you can use contact the team via web form: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/community/family-support/parent-to-parent/enquiry.aspx

    Hope this has helped.

    Best wishes,


Reply Children
No Data