Is secondary school a waste of time?

A home educating parent once mentioned that primary school level maths and English is 90% of what you need to know for everyday life as an adult an in most of employment. The remaining 10% can be learned as and when it is required. Most of what is taught in secondary school is not required for everyday life or most of employment.

Therefore is secondary school a waste of time from the perspective of education and knowledge?

Parents
  • It was certainly a waste of time for me.  I learned pretty much nothing (except, in biology, that the male penis is inserted into the female vagina - and even then, I left school believing that this was done as part of a medical procedure, in hospital).  Much of secondary school, anyway, was spent hiding from bullies - or simply not going in.  Consequently, I left with no qualifications, thinking that I clearly knew everything that I needed to know.  It was only when I became friendly, in my second job, with someone who'd been to a public school that I realised just what a chasm of nothingness there was in my head.

• I learned pretty much nothing (except, in biology, that the male penis is inserted into the female vagina - and even then, I left school believing that this was done as part of a medical procedure, in hospital). 

isn't it then???...does that mean I don't have to experience the procedure under general anaesthetic? lol

• Depends on the quality of the donor, I guess!

Reply Children