Livid with teacher

My daughter is autistic and in year 6. Yesterday 10 mins after lunch she said she felt her period and didn't have a pad on. She asked the teacher if she could go to the toilet and was told no she would have to wait until home time. My daughter said she whispered to her that she didn't have a pad on and it was a female reason. The teacher said she didn't need to know that and she should have dealt with it in her lunch break. She had to go back to her seat and bled all over her chair.

Parents
  • That is just abuse, pure and simple ..... whether your daughter is autistic or not, you are right to be livid. We all get "caught out" once in a while by the occasional unexpected arrival of the monthlies, even as adults. If she had desperately needed the loo, would the teacher have made her go in her pants?? I would be down to the school if that were me, complaining in the strongest terms, and also telling my daughter that if something like this happened again, she should just leave the classroom and you will deal with the consequences, if there are any. Poor lass must be mortified!

• Yes I will be seeing her on Monday. My daughter has often mentioned that she won't let them go to the loo. You would think though she would have some compassion with girls this age being female herself.

• especially with girls this age! I don't remember myself, or anyone I knew well enough to discuss such things with, being exactly "regular as clockwork" at that age, so surely she can see that this is not your daughter being lazy or careless, but simply getting caught by surprise. It is of course reasonable to expect the kids to go to the toilet (for a wee) during breaks, yes, but the teacher has got it way wrong here, hasn't she!

• especially with girls this age! I don't remember myself, or anyone I knew well enough to discuss such things with, being exactly "regular as clockwork" at that age, so surely she can see that this is not your daughter being lazy or careless, but simply getting caught by surprise. It is of course reasonable to expect the kids to go to the toilet (for a wee) during breaks, yes, but the teacher has got it way wrong here, hasn't she!

Children