Help....

Hi. I Am a 47 year old mother of a recently diagnosed 23 yr old Autistic son. And I'm struggling, really struggling. In fact I would go so far as to say my life is crumbling around my ears. We've had a volatile relationship since his early teens, which led to some quite spectacular rows, I now know these were probably melt-downs. Over the last couple of years however things have got worse. He looses his rag over what seems like the slightest thing. I get sworn at, called awful awful things, shouted at to SHUT UP AND LISTEN, things get thrown, windows are broken, holes in wall, light switches shattered, holes in ceiling, plates glasses thrown so hard they shatter, doors kicked off their hinges, lost count of the number of remote controls thrown so hard they are a million pieces. I've been spat at with real hatred, punched in the chest hard, (thought i'd broken a rib, hit in the back of the head, had a crown knocked out......I'm at the end of my tether and I Don't know what to do........I understand how life changing this all is for him, and try, really try to communicate with him. But it always always ends in the above. He gets more and more agitated with me, during quite innocuous conversations, and ends up ranting at me for hours, I'm not allowed a different opinion, (he denies this, but he's always right) Im exhausted. Hes getting some help, but not with this kind of stuff. To outsiders he's a personable, polite young man.He's told me he has been pretending all his life, and now doesn't know what to do.

I want to help, I really do, but im afraid of him, I don't even want to be in the same house as him. (he wants to move  out but hes off sick at the moment, trying to sort benefits and housing. I'm lost. Im already on antidepressants.

Just realised how cheery this reads, I'm sorry, I just don't know what to do anymore.

Parents
  • You might be his parent, but you need to kick him out. Violent behaviour the likes of what you have described above is never acceptable. He's being physically and emotionally violent towards you, smashing things, punching you, destroying the house, the emotional abuse etc is not acceptable.

You can choose to have him sectioned, that might kick start the some treatment for his violent outbursts etc. If you don't then it will only continue, and continue to escalate and there's a fairly high chance that he will end up putting you in hospital, or in the ground. If you end up in hospital the police will be involved and they don't need your permission or cooperation to prosecute anymore and it's highly probable they will prosecute (which almost certainly guarantees jail time, regardless of his ASD diagnosis). 

He might have ASD but he will still know right from wrong, ASD might be a diagnosis, it's not and never is an excuse for violent and abusive behaviour.

• You might be his parent, but you need to kick him out. Violent behaviour the likes of what you have described above is never acceptable. He's being physically and emotionally violent towards you, smashing things, punching you, destroying the house, the emotional abuse etc is not acceptable.

You can choose to have him sectioned, that might kick start the some treatment for his violent outbursts etc. If you don't then it will only continue, and continue to escalate and there's a fairly high chance that he will end up putting you in hospital, or in the ground. If you end up in hospital the police will be involved and they don't need your permission or cooperation to prosecute anymore and it's highly probable they will prosecute (which almost certainly guarantees jail time, regardless of his ASD diagnosis). 

He might have ASD but he will still know right from wrong, ASD might be a diagnosis, it's not and never is an excuse for violent and abusive behaviour.

Children
No Data