intelligence

does anyone else feel this because i feel like out of anyone i know that i'm the dumbest and that i can never be as smart as everyone else and that i won't be able to get a good career because of this. i just feel like my IQ doesn't measure up to others.

Parents
  • A posh fee paying school had an entrance exam consisting of three papers - English, maths, and general knowledge. There was nothing particularly special about the English and maths papers but the general knowledge paper was interesting because it contained many questions that could only be correctly answered by kids who came from culturally upper middle class backgrounds unless by chance they happened to know the answers. There were even questions relating to opera and varieties of wine.

• Reminds me of a quiz I took part in at school when I was about 10. I was one of the most successful pupils in the class when it came to tests, exams etc. but I was one of the least successful in the quiz. The reason? A lot of the questions were on Scottish general knowledge, which was fair enough given I was going to school in Glasgow at the time, but I had lived in England until the age of 7.

• You make a good point when tests are biased towards people from a particular nationality, (adult) age group, or other background.

A similar phenomenon happens in the style of education. I'm vaguely aware of a KS3 level maths course from the past that was very successful with white English kids from lower class and less well off backgrounds, and black Jamaican kids, but it fell down badly with south Asian kids.

• You make a good point when tests are biased towards people from a particular nationality, (adult) age group, or other background.

A similar phenomenon happens in the style of education. I'm vaguely aware of a KS3 level maths course from the past that was very successful with white English kids from lower class and less well off backgrounds, and black Jamaican kids, but it fell down badly with south Asian kids.

Children
No Data