Advice please

I have a 4 yr old girl who has a referal for autism. She was late meeting all milestones she does talk but can be unclear she is very sensory to sounds smell and texture.likes routine or becomes distressed dosent enjoy pre school or interested in other children has a meltdown about going each session.she dosent sleep all night up at least 3 times during the night. She gets ver anxious and has seperation anxiety.has meltdowns daily and hits herself in the face and pinches her arms and legs.she touches her top lip a lot and when anxious. She likes going to the forest and animals dislikes parks and other children.she also has hypermobility which she sees a physio . Any thoughts as to if you feel this is autistic behaviour please.

Parents
  • Hi, that could well be, I guess, from how you describe her, but to find out is what the assessment is for, isn't it? May be best to keep an open mind but at the same time try to get prepared a bit (read some info about it and so on because this will perhaps make you feel a little less helpless and overwhelmed if she gets an ASD diagnosis).

But that she likes animals and going to the forest, that's great stuff, isn't it? So autism or not, try to enjoy as much of that as you can with her! These are two things where she can learn a lot about all sorts of things and they are good for you too. 

• Hi, that could well be, I guess, from how you describe her, but to find out is what the assessment is for, isn't it? May be best to keep an open mind but at the same time try to get prepared a bit (read some info about it and so on because this will perhaps make you feel a little less helpless and overwhelmed if she gets an ASD diagnosis).

But that she likes animals and going to the forest, that's great stuff, isn't it? So autism or not, try to enjoy as much of that as you can with her! These are two things where she can learn a lot about all sorts of things and they are good for you too. 

Children