Diagnosis?

I have twin 8 year old daughter'. They are doing well but I feel one of them has autistic tendencies. They don' appear to be affecting her at school too much. But they can sometimes be an issue at home. 

I don't want to get her diagnosed because I feel being labelled especially at school puts you at a disadvantage and you are treated differently but I would really like some tips and techniques to help her cope with life and her struggles.

I' pretty sure it would high functioning anyway as she is very clever and doesnt have any speech problems. I think dancing has very much helped her to control and improve her physical difficulties and I would really like to help her other issues, like meltdowns and coping when things go wrong or when she is over stimulated. She has taken to hitting herself in the head and calling herself stupid lately and I don' want this to continue.

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Amy

Parents
  • Hi NAS36210,

If you suspect that your child has autistic tendencies, then there's no harm in having it checked out. As for labelling, everyone is labelled in one way or another, so I don't think that having the tag of "autistic" is anything to worry about. The school authorities will help your daughter to learn and achieve her potential :)

Much love <3

• As someone who only received the 'label' in later life, I wish I had been given it much sooner as its given me greater insight into the challenges I have and why. The label has also enabled me research coping strategies that are tailored to my needs.

I've started to read Tony Attwood's work and also recommend it.

• As someone who only received the 'label' in later life, I wish I had been given it much sooner as its given me greater insight into the challenges I have and why. The label has also enabled me research coping strategies that are tailored to my needs.

I've started to read Tony Attwood's work and also recommend it.

Children
No Data