Son (20) still at home.

Hello

Just wondering if there is anyone out here with an adult son living at home. Really just needing a bit of blether about the highs and lows of it all,

My son has finished doing a course at the local college, andhas been on a 'ready for work' course, but he is extremely reticent to move forward despite support being out thre, maybe not to ghet work but at least to involve him in vounteering etc. He has a skill with cooking and a City and Guilds 1 in cookery. That said he has classic social difficulties for Aspies, mis understandig things and currently anxiety. His reading / writing is v basic although he can get by so long as he is not rushed...He has a great sense of humour, loves politics and movies...I think he's great!! 

Anyway,  if you are in a similar situation and could offer some chat support, or indeed know of any group specifically for this, then please let me know.

Thanks very much M

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi ,

I'm sorry to hear that you've recently been having a bad time at work. The following webpage contains some tips for interacting and coping at work which you might find useful: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/adult-life/work.aspx

It may also be worth speaking to someone in our autism helpline team, as I'm sure they would be happy to chat through your situation with you. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

Please see the following link for further information:

http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main.aspx

Best wishes,

Nellie-Mod

• What is the point of that full time employment?

I am in full time employment.

I feel very down and depressed at the workplace.

I simply put a mask. I am simply formal there and do the absolute minimum.

I can say that I do not have work-life balance.

Its so bad and extreme sometimes that I feel like I can’t carry on and do this anymore. It’s so draining and I just don’t feel like I have any sort of life.

I suffer every day. My health keeps going down because of this.

I feel mentally and physically drained and I don’t have anybody else to help me.