Son (20) still at home.

Hello

Just wondering if there is anyone out here with an adult son living at home. Really just needing a bit of blether about the highs and lows of it all,

My son has finished doing a course at the local college, andhas been on a 'ready for work' course, but he is extremely reticent to move forward despite support being out thre, maybe not to ghet work but at least to involve him in vounteering etc. He has a skill with cooking and a City and Guilds 1 in cookery. That said he has classic social difficulties for Aspies, mis understandig things and currently anxiety. His reading / writing is v basic although he can get by so long as he is not rushed...He has a great sense of humour, loves politics and movies...I think he's great!! 

Anyway,  if you are in a similar situation and could offer some chat support, or indeed know of any group specifically for this, then please let me know.

Thanks very much M

Parents
  • Hi Tegan

Your situation sounds quite similar to mine.  My son is a bit younger at 17.  He left school last summer with a small number of National 5 and National 4 qualifications (we are in Scotland, so Nat 5 is GCSE O Level).  He tried a Music course at College but struggled with the lack of structure and left at Christmas.  His confidence it very low and although we have been in touch with a volunteering group for young people, he would hardly speak so they are not able to help.

We haven't been involved with support services outside school although I am now actively trying to link in with the Social Work service to see what support is out there.

On the bright side, he has just started learning to drive and is doing well and really enjoying it.

• Hi there

Yes we do seem to be in a similar boat...out of school and college...trying to engage with the other stuff out there, but difficult to do that due to anxiety and fear of the new. 

Im sorry to read that the college didnt work out - its a very frustrating process. There is a lot of noise made about supporting all students but i dont always see that happening. We had one good year and then one really useless year with very little support way too late.

Anyway, we did have success with a short course run through Prince's Trust - to get my son to apply was a massive hurdle and sent us both into orbit...however once engaged he had a fab time and even got some work experience. We are now waiting to hear back from Project Scotland about volunteering. Again the stress of getting the on line form filled was way too much for us both. I dread the next time anything has to be done. There is a sense that as a young adult they must do the talking and phoning up and if you do it then you are still being a pushy mum/dad. This is from agencies who work with young adults with learning difficulties....it is very confusing. 

I have also just referred into social work with a plea for one to one support and some sort of housing possibities. I understand that there are agencies in the town that could help get my son out and about more and give him chance to hang out similar aged adults and not his mum! Again though i will have to tell him this appt may happen and he will be upset about it. That it seems is part of living with Aspergers but it doesnt make it any easier. I wonder if you know what you are hoping for from Social Work?  One other dept to get referred to is Occupational Therapy- the one based within the Psychological Dept. This would provide some sessions of managing anxiety/ fear and to help getting out and about and managing change and all that. This is my next mission to go the GP and do the referral. I have got Appointee status so can do that without my son knowing....but when the assessment arrives then i will have to explain that. It just seems no way round this meltdown situation. When i think about it, that's been the case for the past 20 years :)

That's the moan out of the way - thanks for listening! - i am so pleased that your son is able to drive and is enjoying it! That is so good on many levels isnt it? Im guessing he was keen to learn and there wasnt the usual carry on. It is all bout motivators isnt it...Being able to drive opens up his options and gives him a skill that he can enjoy - and give you lifts. My son would love to drive, he has sat and failed his theory twice...and had a few un professional driving lessons. He has now put the brakes on so to speak and i can see he is still really keen but worried too. 

My son is very good at cooking and baking. i know! it is still a surprise for us. This week he has made pork and chorizo burgers, and a lemon merignue pie from scratch ( i thought they only came in packets! ) He's had  a good laugh watching The Last Leg and has gone to stay over night with his dad. 

Im all settled in  for a relaxing day, box set at the ready. Just getting some space is so helpful. It would be great to hear from you again about how you have got on...as we are both in Scotland i should think there will be similar services available. 

Bye for now 

T

• Your afternoon sounds better than mine because I spent to watching Scotland get hammered by Wales in the 6 nations :-(

I'm not entirely sure what I am expecting from Social Work.  I decided to make contact for a contact for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, a charity I have contacted about day services mentioned that the transition and funding is normally supported by a social worker, secondly I am floundering trying to work out what is out there for my son and lastly, looking far into the future hopefully, I won't be around forever and think that he should be "in the system" in case he is unable to live completely independently.  

So far I have been passed between various bits of the Department, so I will need to chase things up on Monday.

What is appointee status?  So far, apart from the college, I have managed to be involved in all of my son's applications, appointments and correspondence.  He always prefers me to arrange things and forwards on any e-mails that he gets (eventually when prompted !)

Hope you are enjoying your evening.

• Your afternoon sounds better than mine because I spent to watching Scotland get hammered by Wales in the 6 nations :-(

I'm not entirely sure what I am expecting from Social Work.  I decided to make contact for a contact for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, a charity I have contacted about day services mentioned that the transition and funding is normally supported by a social worker, secondly I am floundering trying to work out what is out there for my son and lastly, looking far into the future hopefully, I won't be around forever and think that he should be "in the system" in case he is unable to live completely independently.  

So far I have been passed between various bits of the Department, so I will need to chase things up on Monday.

What is appointee status?  So far, apart from the college, I have managed to be involved in all of my son's applications, appointments and correspondence.  He always prefers me to arrange things and forwards on any e-mails that he gets (eventually when prompted !)

Hope you are enjoying your evening.

Children
No Data