Son (20) still at home.

Hello

Just wondering if there is anyone out here with an adult son living at home. Really just needing a bit of blether about the highs and lows of it all,

My son has finished doing a course at the local college, andhas been on a 'ready for work' course, but he is extremely reticent to move forward despite support being out thre, maybe not to ghet work but at least to involve him in vounteering etc. He has a skill with cooking and a City and Guilds 1 in cookery. That said he has classic social difficulties for Aspies, mis understandig things and currently anxiety. His reading / writing is v basic although he can get by so long as he is not rushed...He has a great sense of humour, loves politics and movies...I think he's great!! 

Anyway,  if you are in a similar situation and could offer some chat support, or indeed know of any group specifically for this, then please let me know.

Thanks very much M

Parents Reply Children
  • Hello NAS35993

Thank you for your reply. It is good to know i am not alone!

I wonder where your support worker comes from? Council? Independent Organisation? We dont have one currently - there was always support at school, so thats gone now. i have found a befrineder for him, who is now his friend. and we finance this ourselves. 

As for work, i do hope that your son finds some work...mine has had 15 hours work experience just last year - but that's it. He enjoyed it - catering work - but there has been no follow up. He is signed on and rcvng ESA - i think the next thing is to contact the Centre direct and get some support. 

As with a lot of these things, there is help out there...it is just a case of finding it, and the, the hardest bit for me, engaging my son in this process. He says he want to live in the town ( we live 15m away) so i am using that as a motivaor, Wish me luck!  i hope he can become independent, and is some ways i think he could live on his own, but all the other factors would impact like not working/managing money/limited/non exsistant families. 

On a positive, we do get on well, and we have a good laugh at things. 

Kind regards

M