Autism and coping with emotions

Hi All, I'm a sister to a wonderful brother ,18 years, who is Autistic. He can communicate however expressing himself through jumping and clapping his hands when he gets angry. He usually does this when she hears loud noises for example my son crying or nursery rythems being played or someone being told off. 

My concerns are that the anger is becoming worse as he has started to throw objects, and boarded on hitting family members. He means well and when calm apoloises for his actions but there are also times where he makes remarks such as ' I hate ...' or 'I could hurt you'. I can see he is having difficultly controlling or expressing his emotions and wondered how others have dealt with this behaviour and is there a need for therapeutic intervention. 

Our mother died when my brother was 16 years she was his sole career and support network. We have tried to do the best we can to support him as he now has a carer, travel trained and able to do most things himself. If we are able to assist or channel his emotions in a different way it may help him cope better in the future. 

Many thanks for any advice, experiences and support 

Sai 

Parents
  • Hello sai! My son manifests the same behavior. Throwing things, self-harming (punching himself, pinching, squeezing until his skin has nail marks). The only thing that made him stop it was therapy. Occupational Therapy. 

Maybe you can search for that in your area?

• Hello sai! My son manifests the same behavior. Throwing things, self-harming (punching himself, pinching, squeezing until his skin has nail marks). The only thing that made him stop it was therapy. Occupational Therapy. 

Maybe you can search for that in your area?

Children
  • Thank you Kimberly, Yes my brother claps so hard that it causes his skin to break and bleed. He is on an EHC plan so would I speak the them about occupational therapy or his social worker. Im still trying to find my way around and not sure who to contact. Thanks again for the advice. :)