On the autism spectrum? Do you have a special interest you are passionate about? Want your writing or artwork to be published? Your help is needed in starting a new indie magazine!

As a sixteen -year old with Asperger’s syndrome I know all too well, how it feels to share extensive knowledge on your passion with someone, only to be met with blank expressions; bored by your knowledge regarding the history of mechanical keyboards, disengaged by your talk on your extensive manga collection and simply baffled by the thesis you recently spent hours developing regarding the topic of consciousness and reality.

I believe strongly that young people on the autistic spectrum need an outlet, a place to submit their musings- more specifically, a magazine.

My vision is of an inclusive magazine, created solely by those on the spectrum. I wish for it to be a source that the autistic reader will be able to derive a sense of belonging from. Whilst the neurotypical reader is offered the opportunity to indulge themselves in a wealth of passion, creativity and knowledge that is unique to the autistic brain.

I have found that autistic young people are able to produce astonishing content on their topics of interest.

Some examples of possible contributions:

-Reviews (be it video game, board game, book, music, figurine, film, anime, manga, clothing or technology reviews)

-  Essays/theories (philosophical, sociological, psychology based, abstract, humorous, personal)

- Articles (opinion pieces, current affairs, protest pieces)

- Art (traditional, digital, photography, comics, poems, short stories, song lyrics)

- Tutorials (computer programming, craft-related, Lego building, modding, cosplay, LARPING)

Examples of articles I myself have written/plan on writing (and intend on including in the magazine) include- Virtual Reality- The Psychological Impacts, Why Suffering Is Intrinsic to Human Nature, Fidget Spinners: A Revolution, The Social Construction of Gender Normativity, Casual Homophobia, The Autism Spectrum and Gender Identity, Animal Crossing: An Autistic’s Dream, and Reality is Relative.

I am specifically on the lookout for cover art for the first issue.

I would also love to have a “collector’s corner” page, where each issue a different individual’s collection (of anything- stamps, comics, dice, books, video games, anime, manga, shark teeth, figurines, empty packets, coins, reptiles, retro magazines, guitars etc.), is given the “spotlight.”

Certain specifications such as the name of the magazine, the page count, publication dates etc. are yet to be finalised.

It shall likely be a monthly publication, printed from home. Being involved in this project shall yield no economical profit for contributors (for the time being) only a mental one -of great satisfaction (I am doing this with my own money and time).

The magazine shall be distributed for free (for the time being) at my college. However, if one has contributed to the magazine they will receive a copy, personally sent to them in the post by myself. If one wishes to have access to an issue (digitally) and print and distribute copies of them themselves in their local area too, I would be very happy for this to happen.

The magazine is aimed at the age group of 13-21 years.

I wish for this to be an accepting, inviting and creative opportunity to be a part of.

I must be clear that this is not a magazine focused on autism. My desire is for it to feature an eclectic mix of creative media, created by those on the spectrum. (This is not to say that I am not ruling out essays, articles or artwork specifically on the topic of autism whatsoever! I am simply likely to limit the number of pieces talking directly about the topic of autism to one or two pieces per issue.) I do not wish for, upon opening the magazine, it to be “in your face” obvious that it was solely written by those with autism (this will be introduced in the editor’s note). What will be clear is that it was created by extremely gifted individuals.

[Edited by Moderator - 25/10/2017]

• I wish I could properly express the laughter this comment brought me. Alas via the medium of the internet I cannot!

• Fantastic opposable thumbs, the tortoise! 

• She is a remarkable woman and also plays bass guitar....now that is one talented tortoise! 

• I, in fact just stumbled across spotty tortoise's work and was about to message them! Really astonished by it! Truly beautiful!

• as soon as we’ve sorted ourselves out and we’ve found the rule book, we’ll be off.,,,

• Please forgive us Lone Warrior is on pain killers and i’m on the wine...which is why we are still in the dock and haven’t left for our destination of Autopia yet.. lol x 

• Haha absolute genius! Sounds like an ideal society to me!

• My thoughts blossom and expand,ever adding and expanding. Thank you your positive and upbeat reply. Much appreciated.

• Thank you (),this is my first time on an online forum & I must say I feel truly welcomed.

The nature of this project I hope to be rather "artistic" (not that I can define what "artistic" is), so random ramblings that contain  "nuggets of mindful awareness and revelations to be hold" sound wonderful to me. Please do not worry about producing anything within a time limit. My work is also usually very long, as my thoughts seem to grow and blossom like a tree as I write- a problem for me in exams (I only produced a word limit as I am aware that some individuals on the spectrum panic without such constraints)

• Plus chocolate biscuits 

• Only without the NT’s .A model for humanity! Complex forgiving,but together as one.

• Hello sebloth nice to meet you. We are a few that ,,,,well,,,,,we decided to have fun,as more mature autistics we decided as we rarely were involved or even excluded from play then we had every right to play now. We can be silly,complicated but mainly just beings searching for answers and now and again kicking back and enjoying our mutual playfulness.

Your idea for this is very inspiring and hopefully I can contribute something,it may be very long! I ramble on quite a bit, apparently in amongst the rambles there are nuggets of mindful awareness and revelations to be hold. Amazing when others understand what others perceive as weird or nonesense.

well done.

oh and () is the aspie symbol for hugging. Not all consider hugs relevant or needed but I decided at age 55 that I could finally let my true feelings out. () that’s for you.

• Us old folk took on the idea of the social experiment of living on an island....and how that would work. All ASDs together...would it work without the NTs! 

• Hahaha do not fear I am not Smiley I read some books by Enid Blyton when I was younger.

• No pressure is on any of you! However if you did wish to email me some "work", it would be welcomed with great enthusiasm! I completely understand the problem with deadlines (& in fact for this reason I have not implemented any). Some of the ideas you guys are generating are brilliant :)

I have changed my username btw (I suppose it was rather impersonal simply "being" a number!) However I am wondering if there is a way in which to reply to all comments as a whole?

• Don’t forget that you are old. The thread creator is probably   thinking who the .... is Enid Blyton and is Timmy a member of the Tory party...

• No! raw words,raw feeling,honesty and imagination. X.    I am all but me.

• As long as you promise not to *** your leg at it Timmy ...would you proof read 

• Oh how you know me,you are so very perceptive.Thank you so much for saying the empathic side of ASD and attributing it to me. Means a great deal. 

Being Timmy Sounds good but I do need to be led at times! I am a willing follower though.

How about you writing about the connection between female ASD and an ability to guide nurture and heal others with so few words. Xxx

x()()()xx

• Ok Lone.. . How about co writing an Enid Blyton inspired Escape to Aspie Island

would you be kind enough to play the role of Timmy the dog x?