Online Community - Comments, Improvements and Feedback

Dear Community,

We were pleased to see so many comments about the community on the recent thread about the Leader Board. We are always wanting to learn more about how we can develop the community and so have locked the previous thread so that all comments and suggestions about general improvements to the community can now be placed here on this thread.

Please comment here on any ideas, improvements or feedback you have about the Online Community. 

Please note that although we take on board all your ideas, we may not be able to implement all of them.

As always, please be kind and respectful when commenting to each other.

Thanks,

NAS Moderators

Parents
  • To help me (and, hopefully, others) decide whether to subscribe (or continue to subscribe) to a thread I would like to see two new features.

The first is an indicator, set by the thread's creator, to show whether off-topic posts are welcome. The default should be that postings are to be on topic.

Secondly, a list of a thread's contributors.

These features would also have the benefit of reducing the number of unnecessary e-mails in an inbox and allow people more time to actually participate in the community.

• NAS8954 said:
    The first is an indicator, set by the thread's creator, to show whether off-topic posts are welcome.

- Sorry

• What are you saying sorry for Ellie? 

Caretwo. It seems to me that there is more than one reason people join this forum and although we do have things in common our characters will be varied. You have spoken about the threads keeping on topic several times. So I realise this is something which is important to you. I also accept that on some topics there is a need for seriousness and to keep on topic especially if looking for information or counsel and in those instances it would be a good idea to select keep on topic. However in most conversations it is unnatural to stay on topic. And how do you decide what is relevant to that topic or not? I am not in favour of the default to being stay on topic but yes to being able to select to stay on topic if the person starting the thread wishes it. Conversations ebb and flow from a topic. It is the free flowing relaxed nature of this forum which attracts me and makes me feel at ease ( which I do not have anywhere else).  I do not feel comfortable being confined to a topic or thread because it just feels like another way someone else is imposing what they think my behaviour should be. I understand your desire to have less emails popping up but you could be in control of that by choosing not to receive them but looking at your convenience if you wished to. 

I am not disagreeing with you to be awkward or to upset you but I did want to point out that I have trouble staying focused on a set subject and doesn't feel like the natural flow of a conversation and this makes me uncomfortable.  I don't like being boxed in. I'm sure there must be a way to give you the structure you need and the informality that I need but as to how that would be achieved is a conundrum. 

I suspect this stems from my other ND ( random, blurting, impulsive side) but I don't know so. I am trying hard to answer carefully so I do hope you won't be offended by my alternative view. 

I do think a list of the threads contributors is a good idea. 

Maybe we need a dedicated free for all general chitchat area where we can meet and greet and say goodnight for the day with those we connect with and those not private messaging. 

• I did just mention autopia etc but can't find my post... very odd. I agreed with Spotty and then said it's the pets corner and autopia which keep us going too but hey lost the plot! 

• Hey.....maybe at some point it will be the "normal" ones in the minority! Imagine that!  Lol

maybe you'll get your Autopia after all, Missy! 

• Agreed..,and i have received lots of support as well x

• Well said Spotty. sadly yes. me too. Just keep doing our best to help and join in when we are able to. As Ellie says it uses up emotional reserves. But then I just feel terrible like LW says lots of views and no replies .. awful many of those posts are beyond me. I noticed one poor person left the forum because they couldn't cope with the sorrow. We do need pets corner and autopia to keep us going! I'd say humour too but I'm no good at jokes! 

• No idea what to do about it but I agree that it is increadibly distressing to read some of the desperate posts on here. It all just highligjts the complete lack of support apart from the lucky few. 

It doesn't even appear to be a specific age range, its kids and twenty somethings and thirty somethings who should have been found and recognised.

Obviously us older bods are unrecognised because ASD simply wasn't an available diagnosis when we were young but it seems some people fare no better now. This country feels as broken as I do.

• I know what you mean.. but also .. I have had more support and understanding on here than anywhere else. So I am extremely grateful to uyou folk posting but also as LW says the nas and mods who do work hard for us. 

• Are you ok LW.

i agree that there are many member states keeping this virtual helpline going....and it isn't lovely that they help to give such wisdom, useful knowledge and kind words. This must be emotionally draining at times and others pain can be hard to to bear.

it can often touch a nerve that someone is also suffering and their lack of support seem so increasingly the norm. It can make the hole we're sat in feel that much deeper. 

• Are you ok LW.

i agree that there are many member states keeping this virtual helpline going....and it isn't lovely that they help to give such wisdom, useful knowledge and kind words. This must be emotionally draining at times and others pain can be hard to to bear.

it can often touch a nerve that someone is also suffering and their lack of support seem so increasingly the norm. It can make the hole we're sat in feel that much deeper. 

Children