What's the most exciting thing you've ever done AND enjoyed?

I once was a passenger in a Tiger Moth biplane. It gave me a real buzz and was really exciting. Another time I rode in a motorcycle sidecar. And on another I rode in a Lagonda. Following vintage sports cars on the Flying Scotsman road rally to their next gathering point then watch all the different cars set off was fun too. Mm didn't realise I was such a petrolhead! But they were all exciting experiences which I enjoyed even at the time which is rare. 

How about you? What have you found exciting and fun ( clean answers only thanks! )

• Well if you ask for a clean answer I guess one thing that comes to mind was dressing up like this to give a whole room of people a lecture on anime.

Singing karaoke in a random bar in Helsinki was also pretty fun but a bit unnerving, since I speak no finish.

• I really enjoyed proper "stalling" in my own open cockpit aeroplane. A stall is when you gradually remove power from your aeroplane until it no longer flies, but to do it properly, you do it from a shallow climb so that the speed falls off quickly, and the stall is more of a fall until you recover it. In my case all the bits came up off the floor and flew past my head into the airstream, which was briefly confusing, I thought I'd flown through a swarm of something at first..

On my second attempt, (It was fun, so of course I regained my height and did it again straight away!). the aeroplane (Evans VP1) dropped the left wing quite abruptly which was even more exciting but easily controlled, the VP1 makes a Cessna feel sluggish like a 747 in terms of how well it responds to pilot inputs.

It soon became "not fun" as the hangarage and other bills mounted up, and the pilots of more expensive aircraft poured scorn on me and my little aeroplane. In retrospect I wish I'd done "microlighting" rather than "class a" aeroplanes. The people and costs were more in line with my station in life. But I was trying to get to do it as a job for a long while..

• Looks like you enjoy being high up? Have you flown or parachuted again? I like the idea of the land rover off roading and rally car driving.. 

• A few to choose from:

Flown a plane (1st time in a place, flying lesson as an xmas present)

Jumped out of a plane (with a parachute of course, my 2nd time in a plane)

Abseiled from a 60m cliff

Had a trapeze lesson

Drove an Impreza rally car

Drove a Land Rover off-road

• Going on a waltzer four times in one day. A flight simulator of a WW1 dogfight, you really felt you were chasing The Red Baron, then had to do a Tornado over the Welsh Valleys. A trip in the cab of an Inter City 125, driving two British Railways class 31 diesel locomotives, a footplate ride on an LMS Black 5!!!  

• Yes very brave but unforgettable. Quite a few students went to work on the USA summer camps when I was at college. They had a good time and some went more than once. Certainly a good chance to see so many landmarks. My Dad treated my sister and I to a trip to Oregon to stay with a friend of mine then drove on the coast up to rainforest national park onto Seattle then Amtrak to Vancouver. I'd never have done it without them and remained anxious but it was incredible and lifetime experience. 

• That is an amazing trip. I expect the children were fascinated by you and the books. I can just imagine their little round red faces with big smiles.  The long overland train journies seem a good way to cover long mileage and see a lot at one go.   Hope you still have the oomph to do  Vso when your girls are through school/college.. they might want to come too.. 

• .....still work in progress on this one.....but the bucket list is very long........ ho hum...

• Flying to the US for the first time to work on a kid's summer camp in Connecticut - about 50 miles from NYC.  I didn't realise until I got there that it was one of the richest camps in America - the children of the elite - so the facilities were amazing.  There was a lake about a mile wide, so every day after work it was swimming, sunbathing, canoeing, windsurfing.... and the wildest parties.  Paul Newman had a holiday home on the other side of the lake.

The kid's were horribly spoiled, though, as you can imagine.  Parents' visiting day was like a car show.  Ferraris, Lambourghinis, Rollers...  One even came by helicopter. 

Afterwards, I traveled the US and Canada by Greyhound, doing the whole Jack Kerouac thing, visiting all the tourist places - Niagara Falls, Toronto, Grand Canyon, Devil's Tower, Las Vegas.  I slept on the bus, eating and washing at gas stations.  I was pretty sick when I got home!

It was also probably the bravest thing I've ever done.

• Travelled on train from Hong Kong to St Petersburg in 1998 when the Russian army hadn't been paid for 7 months...we carried a post card world map  and could say "I am from New Zealand" in lots of different languages. Had some fantastic conversations in gesture, broken English and using phrase books with children in Mongolia about New Zealand.

It would have been perfect if that trip could have happened with my current partner not my ex. My SO did a train trip across India with similar experiences and the phrase "I am Scottish". We would both like to do VSO in the Pacific but can't afford to risk stable employment with the girls still in education