A change for the worse

"Autism friendly"? No, I don't think so. The original format worked and was a logical set up that was easy to use, this new format is a total illogical mess. The number of posts on this forum and the number of users making them were already in decline. I think this new layout will simply hasten that process. I for one won't be using or visiting this site in future. In fact as soon as I post this I'm going to close my account here.

Parents
  • I'm afraid that I have to add my voice to the chorus of disapproval, since I find this new version of the forums so unpleasant that it actually hurts my eyes trying to read it.

I don't understand why there have to be so many distracting & unnecessary changes in font size on screen at the same time. The old forums were cleanly laid out & easy to use, whereas the new format is messy, illogical & last but definitely not least, ugly!

The thread indenttion format seems to have been copied from that used on many online news sites, which is fine for clickbait flaming wars, but not for serious discussion.

I understand that the code needed to be updated, but if people on the Autistic spectrum typically prefer consistency to unnecessary change, then why didn't you just try to recreate the previous format as closely as possible?

Being a programmer myself, I get the impression that one possible reason for the strange layouts & random changes in font size is that the new forums might have been built using 'off the peg' software interface with limited options.

• Northern Geek said:
    Being a programmer myself, I get the impression that one possible reason for the strange layouts & random changes in font size is that the new forums might have been built using 'off the peg' software interface with limited options.

Hi Northern Geek,

Amongst other things, I am a hard-copy graphic designer and artist who uses pencil crayons, inks and acrylics as mediums; more usually on paper . . . once in every while or so.

I basically though have difficulty understanding and comprehending computer terms, and I find that coding completely and utterly baffles me. As such  ~ someone informed me that the option of, 'Wallpapers', or in Java, 'Screens' ~ should be available in 'off the peg' limited version software interfaces.

Have I above recounted relevant and correct information for resolving the problems of limited colour balance and hence the excessive white glare?

• Northern Geek said:

Hi Northern Geek,

Amongst other things, I am a hard-copy graphic designer and artist who uses pencil crayons, inks and acrylics as mediums; more usually on paper . . . once in every while or so.

I basically though have difficulty understanding and comprehending computer terms, and I find that coding completely and utterly baffles me. As such  ~ someone informed me that the option of, 'Wallpapers', or in Java, 'Screens' ~ should be available in 'off the peg' limited version software interfaces.

Have I above recounted relevant and correct information for resolving the problems of limited colour balance and hence the excessive white glare?

Children
  • There's a limit of three indentations - as you've anticipated, messages wouldn't fit across the page with more. I'm looking into spell checkers. The licence we have does not provide alternative ones, but your browser's built-in spell checker should also come into play.

The design is intended to be responsive for different screen sizes. I am finding that the squirrel image is resized so that it fits both, for example, a PC and a phone. If you're having problems, please let me know the device and (if possible) screen size that you are using.

We've previously done some work on the space taken by the top panel. The size of this, especially on mobile, was one of the key comments that came out of the pre-launch user testing, so we made adjustments then. We may be able to reduce it further, but it will take time to look into this.

• Colour balance and luminous intensity problem solved with an 'add-on' - so thanks for the culminating lead to that one WebPM, nice on.

With Robert123's really nice picture of a squirrel in the next post, it cannot be viewed as whole image due the top-panel taking up a third of the page. It has minimal functional priority for community members - so can the panel not be reduced to at least a quarter of the screen's size? At least limiting the size of the images would be useful perhaps? More so than having to use 'ctrl -', 'ctrl +' or 'ctrl 0' each time - surely?

With the responding to someone's post thing, just how indented do things get - I mean will long discussions over time become more vertically pinstriped with one word to each horizontal line - sort of thing?

Oh - and can the American spell check version be changed to an English one please? 

• Just to remark that, some time ago, sites would provide tools to adjust colour, font size and so on. Now, the tendency is for sites to follow standards, thus allowing browsers to provide those tools in ways that work for all or many sites. So, for example, those who prefer a larger/smaller display can use Ctrl+ or Ctrl- on any site, and Ctrl0 to return to normal (i.e. hold down Control and press + or - or 0). Obviously zoom as normal on mobile.

For colours and the like, browsers provide accessibility tools. For example, on Chrome. the Colour Enhancer and the High Contrast extensions give ways of adjusting colour and contrast on all sites (that can be switched on and off at will). Internet Explorer has Accessibility settings on the General tab (of Internet Options).

Chrome extensions are managed under Settings - More Tools.

• I agree that web software packages should contain decent customisation options, but I don't know what package (if any) was used so I was only guessing.

My specialty is data validation, enhancement & analysis rather than web software anyway. I'm just an old school programmer who started work before the Internet or even Windows was invented!