Spam alert

Dear moderators, there is some serious spamming going on here, about counterfeit money etc please sort it out

Blues

Parents
  • NAS15840 said:

If there is a fire and the fire alarm goes off then people must panic, and take action to evacuate. Of course panic does not mean running around screaming like a headless chicken. But it means taking quick orderly appropriate action.

Hi Aspergix, I'm afraid you're wrong there, people must not panic, the definition of panic is "a sudden overwhelming fear, with or without cause, that produces hysterical or irrational behavior, and that often spreads quickly through a group of persons or animals.". That causes irrational and sub-optimal actions, or even actions which make the situation worse.

I think it is important for me to explain something here , because this example illustrates how badly I sometimes communicate. I can write and speak but not always properly. I often get into trouble because I end up conveying the opposite of what I intended.

I did two things wrong here:

1)      I used the wrong word to express what I intended to mean. Like seriously the wrong choice of word. (I said we must panic – what I wanted to say was we must respond immediately. But for some unknown reason in my mind the word panic was synonymous with responding immediately. At the same time I knew the dictionary meaning of panic.)

2)      I then proceeded to deliberately redefine the dictionary meaning of the word to exactly the opposite.  I did this to try and explain what I really mean by the word panic. Like this is seriously absurd and bizarre. ( I said panic does not mean….but it means….! I broke the unwritten rule that one must never change the dictionary meaning of a word when using a word.)

The result of this was a serious miscommunication on my part resulting in MattBuck’s feedback, saying that I was wrong and that we must not panic. But I was not wrong because I did not think I was saying we must panic, I thought I was saying we must act in a cool headed way by saying “ …..taking quick orderly appropriate action.”

So to rephrase what I said and intended to say and actually meant to say :

If there is a fire and the fire alarm goes off then people must not panic, we must respond immediately and take quick, orderly and appropriate action to evacuate.

I hope this sounds better, but I’m not sure anymore. I end up getting tangled up in words to the point where I become very confused and very anxious.

I often cross swords with people about what I said and what I intended to say and how I said it and how I should have said it. It becomes very tiring and draining. I end up going mute for a very long time because I lose confidence in expressing myself verbally because I always seem to get it wrong in some bizarre way.

• NAS15840 said:

If there is a fire and the fire alarm goes off then people must panic, and take action to evacuate. Of course panic does not mean running around screaming like a headless chicken. But it means taking quick orderly appropriate action.

Hi Aspergix, I'm afraid you're wrong there, people must not panic, the definition of panic is "a sudden overwhelming fear, with or without cause, that produces hysterical or irrational behavior, and that often spreads quickly through a group of persons or animals.". That causes irrational and sub-optimal actions, or even actions which make the situation worse.

I think it is important for me to explain something here , because this example illustrates how badly I sometimes communicate. I can write and speak but not always properly. I often get into trouble because I end up conveying the opposite of what I intended.

I did two things wrong here:

1)      I used the wrong word to express what I intended to mean. Like seriously the wrong choice of word. (I said we must panic – what I wanted to say was we must respond immediately. But for some unknown reason in my mind the word panic was synonymous with responding immediately. At the same time I knew the dictionary meaning of panic.)

2)      I then proceeded to deliberately redefine the dictionary meaning of the word to exactly the opposite.  I did this to try and explain what I really mean by the word panic. Like this is seriously absurd and bizarre. ( I said panic does not mean….but it means….! I broke the unwritten rule that one must never change the dictionary meaning of a word when using a word.)

The result of this was a serious miscommunication on my part resulting in MattBuck’s feedback, saying that I was wrong and that we must not panic. But I was not wrong because I did not think I was saying we must panic, I thought I was saying we must act in a cool headed way by saying “ …..taking quick orderly appropriate action.”

So to rephrase what I said and intended to say and actually meant to say :

If there is a fire and the fire alarm goes off then people must not panic, we must respond immediately and take quick, orderly and appropriate action to evacuate.

I hope this sounds better, but I’m not sure anymore. I end up getting tangled up in words to the point where I become very confused and very anxious.

I often cross swords with people about what I said and what I intended to say and how I said it and how I should have said it. It becomes very tiring and draining. I end up going mute for a very long time because I lose confidence in expressing myself verbally because I always seem to get it wrong in some bizarre way.

Children
No Data