Gardening for Anxiety

Hi All,

I just wondered if anybody else does gardening to help with their anxiety

If so which bits do you like doing best 

Julie 

•  He supplies produce to several stores near our house. He plans to plant a field next year to increase his sales, and he needs a tractor for that. I want to give him a birthday present so I would have advice from an experienced agronomist. I found one good machine store:  (link removed by Mod), but I can't decide which tractor to buy. Can you give me some advice? I would be very grateful.

• I like the idea of gardening. I don't have a garden here :'( but I'd love to give it a try someday I want to grow some veggies.

• I like perfumed plants, like lavenders and currently petunias. Not only do they smell nice but insects like them too. I love watching bees visiting flowers.

• My father is a horticulturist, but I don't know anything about it. He has several greenhouses and a large orchard.

• My garden is the source of inspiration fore me. Moreover, it is my motivator and doctor. I could not recover from the endless allergy for a long time. Doctors could not determine the cause and reason of the occurrence. That's why I moved to the village. Now I'm doing well and even getting additional information on https://www.finehomegardening.com/article/lawn-garden-edging-ideas-1652411199842 . Btv what kinds of plants do you like the most? Summer is the most suitable for my region.

• According to American researchers, more than 80% of gardeners consider themselves happy. Moreover, the more time a person spends digging in the ground, the happier he feels. Physical activity contributes to the production of endorphins — hormones of happiness. In addition, physical work in the garden is accompanied by sounds that also have a beneficial effect on the nervous system: the singing of birds and the rustling of leaves. I have been gardening for 10 years; for example, I recently bought a new zeon zoysia grass. The neighbors say that I have the most beautiful lawn.

• I agree with you Kate, when my anxiety is really bad I try and get into my jigsaws or gardening but the anxiety just comes over me and it is really hard to concentrate and this is really annoying when this happens. 

I like the multi coloured plants and the patterned plants are my favourites. 

I find the purple, pink and mix colours help me to relax. 

I find if I do mindfulness when gardening this helps as well e.g. listening to the birds, getting the feel from the soil or texture of the plant.

I also find having a cup of tea down the garden in the sun helps me relax. 

Your right the Tiarella is a lovely plant.

• I agree that gardening can be very therapeutic. When my anxiety is really bad though I just dwell on stuff while I’m gardening Confounded

However sometimes it helps. I bought a lovely plant the other day called a Tiarella (I might be spelling that wrong!) which is really beautiful - I keep looking at it looking so great outside my window and it does cheer me up to see it, 

• it's nice when you have done the jobs down the garden and then have a cup of tea outside listening to the birds and the sun is out.

• I like planting seeds and deciding where they will grow. By the time the compost has been sieved before planting a lot of time has passed. The most relaxing times are probably when it is sunny but not too warm and I am pottering and the birds are singing.

• Hi I'm glad you got back into it and it really helps you, I found this out too

• I found it helped a bit, doing most gardening things, but as I wasn't managing my thoughts then it wasn't that useful in reducing anxiety for long.

Its best to do gardening slowly, use hand tools instead of power tools if possible as well, so that you are putting focus and effort in - less focus on thoughts will calm the mind, and mean less anxiety.

• Hi, I had gardening as a special interest and then lost interest. This year I’ve returned to it and now love it. I’ve got two greenhouses down the garden and have various tomatoes in one and cucumbers in the other. Done my own hanging baskets this year. It’s so far from my day job and I don’t have to talk to anyone. It really helps my mental state. Sweet peas are one of my favourites.

• Hi there.
    l like planting and watching them grow. I like to mowing the lawn

• Weeding can be very therapeutic , this year I decided to plant my trug full of bee friendly wildflower seeds so I can enjoy seeing the bees and butterflies on the flowers.

I love growing flowers from seeds and potting them on. 

• I love weeding, don't have much of it with my indoor plants nowadays but I used to volunteer at an orchid nursery that had a lot of weeding to do