Blake's 7 (and other sci fi if you want)

I'm enjoying re-watching Blake's 7 so much that I decided to start a discussion about it. Who else wants to join in?

I can't remember most of the episodes because I was about 9 when I watched them, so it's like something new, but it is such a good series. High time for a remake.

Me and my friends used to play Blake's 7 in the playground. I was always Cally. We were all girls so some played male roles.

Avon is such a great character! I love his constant arguing with Blake and I realise now why I liked Avon. Apart from the fact he's a handsome man, he is actually a more attractive character than Blake. All Blake does is shout and get angry. It's very tiring. They should have shown a softer side to him. At least Avon is a bit funny sometimes. And they should have just got another actor to play him when Gareth Thomas left. It was a bit stupid having Blake's 7 without Blake. 

Also I'd forgotten about Travis in his head-to-toe black leather costume. Well! And I like his hatred of Blake too, the way he is always trying to kill Blake, but Blake avoids killing him in order to score moral points.

A much better series than I remember, at first I didn't want to watch it because it was one of the last series I watched with my dad before he died. But re-watching it is actually making me happy. I can imagine my dad chuckling at some of the silly scenes.

If anyone wants to discuss this series with me, please do!

• I just read my last post, I start losing it, it makes no sense, the craziest madhatter of all times, me, 

that's what it supposed to mean:

I watch and read for all of twists and plots, that is what I find interesting most

i do not care what's the ending or whose involved sometimes at all

sentences in those two lines are desciption of my approach to reading/ watchiong, every time like that.

tough sometimes I am interested in the ending Stuck out tongue or persons involvedStuck out tongue

• I go through watching/ reading because of twists and plots, psst i did not say it, i do not care what's the ending or whose involved, 100% correct desciption every time

• Yes you should watch Blake's 7. It is NOT hopeful and optimistic though, it is quite the opposite. Pretty grim and dark but interesting in some ways.

• It is very nasty and selfish of them to keep us in suspense like that.

• Many sci-fi series have been cancelled prematurely because the viewing figures were low, and probably advertising revenue, but the die hard fans enjoyed them.

1. Stargate universe
    2. Dark matter
    3. Dark Angel
    4. Caprica
    5. Firefly
  • I reckon I would like it, I like good space operas

I can't stand those telenovelas happening on earth our times, what my 3 sisters used to watch using TV standing next to my PC monitor !!!!!, so I had to endure it too, those brazilian production, A HORROR

btw there is a chain of scifi books, amazing spaceopera, involving dead coming back to life by taking over boddies of the living, something every sentient race has to go through on its own or perish, required to join Galactic CouncilI, humans could not understand what those blasted aliens are talking about by forestalling their application to join Galactic Council, apparently it cannot be triggered prematurely by a member of that race, some preordained rule at the bottom of all creation blah,blah:P oh, important bit, there are Space Pirates, main character is like them claiming he is not, Joshua Calvert is a Casonova in fact, and 2nd richest woman in all the planets is in love with him, his style is a woman in every port, like every good and self respecting sailor by heart should do LOL

I read it first time 25 years ago, there was no attempt to make into TV Series or movie yet

by Peter F. Hamilton:  The Reality Disfunction, Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God, a trilogy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reality_Dysfunction

it's no1 on my list of scifi to recommend, I am sad to say but The Expanse comes 2nd, among those modern writings

I absorb it all, like a sponge :P

few years later I try it again in a different language

• I am going to spoiler alert but not saying what it is, but in Tome 8 of The Expanse  there is something capable of challanging that magnificence of creation in Stargate Universe

nobody watched The Expanse. Why?????

• yes, they reallllllly should have completed Stargate Universe, such a pity it was cancelled.

• That is no excuse Robert. Go to bed without any supper and write out 100 times:

"I must watch Star Wars."

JoyJoy 

• good mkan kudos

and SG Universe is really a masterpiece

to witness the creation of the outer edges of the universe

what can compete with that

• I've seen every episode of Stargate SG-1, Atlantis and universe.

• NEVER SEEN STAR WARS?????? Whattttt? I didn't think anyone existed who hadn't.

• You have summed up my exact feelings, Remora! I can't edit my original post now though. I love Vila. Now HE is the anti hero to end all anti heroes isn't he. The exact antithesis of the hero. And would always make you laugh and steal anything you wanted.

Yes, Blake was annoying, not likely to draw me into following his leadership. I thought Avon was great at first but he went downhill and ended up just a run of the mill psychopath. The only thing I liked about him was how handsome Paul Darrow was.

The ending...I think it was a cop out. They could at least have blown some Federation thing up as their last act if they had to die.

I'd love to see a remake of this with Blake in all the episodes.

• Loved Blakes7, what a fantastic show! Vila was awesome. Loved his character from start to finish. Never liked Blake he got on my nerves, Avon was all right but his character changed over time and became less likeable. The ending blew my mind though Open mouth

• I have never seen Star Wars.

I am a Battlestar Galactica fan.

I watched and enjoyed the original 1978 season. 

Then came the awful 1980 sequel.  I thought it was terrible at the time.  Forty years later, while doing internet research I discovered that millions of people agreed with me and the series was cancelled half way through filming because the viewing figures collapsed.

• Yes I think you are too young to have seen Blake's 7. But I didn't realise there is a huge fanbase for it, that started when it was on and has continued for 40 years. They really need to remake it for the modern era and make Blake stay in it for the whole series ffs.

I like Stargate. I WISH they'd finished Stargate Universe, that was an amazing series.

I liked DS9 because the storylines didn't all end neatly, they were messy and people were horrible to each other. Early Star Trek was all too neat and tidy.

I didn't like Battlestar Galactica, it was too confusing and silly.

My favourite sci fi is of course! Star Wars! Only episodes 4, 5 and 6 though. Didn't like 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9.

• I missed that Blake 7 somehow, wrong generation I think, if it was going on polish TV it stopped when I was a baby

I like Stargate, wachted all series 3 times over, except spaceflying part

I found Batttlestar Galactice ridiculous in its concepts of travel, I had to be silent about it since my buddies loved Kara so much LOL, btw in original series Cylons had 1,2 or 3 brains depending on rank, there was only one with 3 brains, in remake with Kara they changed it all

among Star Treks I liked Deep Space 9 only, because it was happening inside the station most of the time, their idea of travelling was ridiculous too

there was something called Dark Matter, their idea of travelling was less ridiculous then most, and it was more of an action TV Series than sci-fi, so almost watchable

but at last something more realistic was created The Expanse and I love it, I read all books written so far as well, 8 of them, TV Series covers 5

• I loved Headhunter, do you think it inspired the Terminator films? Avon even says 'I'll be back' at one point! The unstoppable android is obviously the Terminator and they are trying to escape him.

What made me laugh was, of all the people to deal with the electrical android at the end and put its head back on, they chose the guy covered in metal studs, buckles and zips!! i.e. Avon. No wonder he was electrocuted.

I've reallyyyyyyy changed my mind about Avon since I posted the original post. Yes, he's hot as hell but he's a psychopath. What he did to Vila in Orbit...argghhhh. I never liked him after that, the b4st4rd.

Yes, apparently the cast were all besties, which is nice to know. I think they all played the opposite to their characters, as actors do. I get the idea that in real life, Avon was the nicest guy, it was Vila and Blake who were the naughty ones Joy 

• The acting is a lot better than Crossroads though.