Need advice urgently

Hello, can anyone help me please with what support my 24 year old son can have at work for a meeting? He raised or should I say I helped him with a grievance against him supervisor who treats him badly, she is a bully in my opinion! They’re now acting on this grievance with an investigation which my son has to attend on his own on Thursday morning whilst he’s at work. He is not aloud to have any representation at this stage but he will go into that meeting and not know what they’re talking about!? Can we insist under the disability act 2010 that he should have representation?

Im so worried for him as I think they’re trying to get him out!?

Parents
  • This sounds harsh. I've been in a similar(ish) position before. I had to read up a stack of ACAS things and eventually they backed down a bit.

I called ACAS who helped give me advice as to my rights so I'd say give them a try and see if they can provide advice on this matter regarding accompaniment or representation.

So my advice would be: Give ACAS a call.

In terms of tough meetings/investigation:
    I hated the meetings. Everything in the meetings was what I now recognise as a trigger.

In my case, I had to act like 'my own lawyer'. Things were framed by the company in such a way as to 'frame' me and absolve their own faults. So, I had to be quick to recognise when they were trying to con things. Which is tough for anyone with autism/Aspie traits.

Autism/Aspie has high traits of honesty. When put against an opponent that is shameless in lying, it's deeply unfair.

One of the hardest parts of the meeting was them looking at me blankly and emotionless. It's like the still face experiment that freaks out young children. This part pushed my anxiety as high as it would go. There were two of them in meetings against one of me, and so they had more time to process things and make notes. They were acting unfairly though [the HR manager was sister of the boss, which didn't help with fairness - it's almost laughable now I've quit them]. I did manage to catch them out on improper running of procedure which bought me some useful 'higher ground'

I wouldn't advise someone with autism to go into such a meeting alone if there's even a hint of bullying going on. I really hope there is precedent for your son having appropriate accompaniment. Fingers crossed this will be the case

• This sounds harsh. I've been in a similar(ish) position before. I had to read up a stack of ACAS things and eventually they backed down a bit.

I called ACAS who helped give me advice as to my rights so I'd say give them a try and see if they can provide advice on this matter regarding accompaniment or representation.

So my advice would be: Give ACAS a call.

In terms of tough meetings/investigation:
    I hated the meetings. Everything in the meetings was what I now recognise as a trigger.

In my case, I had to act like 'my own lawyer'. Things were framed by the company in such a way as to 'frame' me and absolve their own faults. So, I had to be quick to recognise when they were trying to con things. Which is tough for anyone with autism/Aspie traits.

Autism/Aspie has high traits of honesty. When put against an opponent that is shameless in lying, it's deeply unfair.

One of the hardest parts of the meeting was them looking at me blankly and emotionless. It's like the still face experiment that freaks out young children. This part pushed my anxiety as high as it would go. There were two of them in meetings against one of me, and so they had more time to process things and make notes. They were acting unfairly though [the HR manager was sister of the boss, which didn't help with fairness - it's almost laughable now I've quit them]. I did manage to catch them out on improper running of procedure which bought me some useful 'higher ground'

I wouldn't advise someone with autism to go into such a meeting alone if there's even a hint of bullying going on. I really hope there is precedent for your son having appropriate accompaniment. Fingers crossed this will be the case

Children
No Data