The generation that time forgot

I feel that Generations X and Y have been deleted from the annals of history.

All the great music I remembered from the Nineties gets sod-all views on YouTube; the only exception being the Beastie Boys.

I guess that us Britpopers didn't procreate enough! Expressionless

• Again, it was the Bubblegum Poppers who had the most kids in the Noughties.

Some kids saw nothing outside MTV/Comedy Central/Newgrounds and view the world from an American Lens.

We weren't genuine enough for the Punkers/Beatniks, but too snobby for Millenials.

• I think grime is the anti establishment scene of now.

• I have been wondering how much stuff from the 1990s is now forgotten or fading into obscurity. Could AS sadly go down the same avenue?

The younger generation seems to gravitate towards gangsta rap, hip-hop, and embrace black American and black Caribbean subcultures, whilst Britain seems incapable of producing any modern day equivalent of punk or rave - both of which are no longer familiar to anybody born this side of 1995ish.

• I think subcultures are alive and well, it's just that so much has moved online that perhaps they aren't as easy to spot in real life as they used to. Pubs and clubs for specific subcultures have mostly died off as the owners try to reach mass market appeal, but they can be found if you know where to look.

• yeah, the music subcultures thing is interesting. I liked the fact that there'd be the punks, the ravers, the metalheads, the hip-hop crews. There'd be overlap between the two but one had one's own tribe -in a nice way.

on the hand, it's kind of lovely (as a muso) to go up to nearly everyone and be able to talk about some form of music we both like.

the subculture way of life and the homogenous sides each bring a few positives.

I think some of us do prefer the old way of having that music tribe we could rely on. there were definitely some good advantages with how it was before the internet did away with a lot of the subculture.

• There's no subcultures anymore. Everything is too homogeneous. I don't know what that's got to do with it but I wanted to say it!

I would say there's a difference between quality and quantity.  Just because something has got a lot of youtube views, doesn't mean it's any good!

• The '90s had some of the best fashion, music, film and literature we've ever had. It has been all but forgotten. Heaven knows what the heathen philistines who dominate our culture now think they're doing.

• ? Chapterhouse, In the Nursery, JJ72 and New Order (all UK bands) got a mention in there :)

I think to preserve the music history, the danger is from independent-signed artists might fall through the seive and get lost.

The likes Oasis/Blue/Pulp will be fine but some stunning albums like JJ72's debut is not available on the streaming services I have access to.

I feel it'd be a shame if those albums get lost.

One of the plus points is that it's possible to get hold of some pretty niche bands (by modern standards) like Luke Haines' work with The Auteurs and Black Box Recorder which were contemporary with Britpop but quite a bit more underground by comparison with the 'big' acts.

• I'm talking more from a British perspective.

But thanks for your input, nevertheless.

• Views are based on demographics. Much of the people who will be prime targets for 90s fare on YouTube will be those trying their best to bring up families and those otherwise engaged near the so called 'peak' of their jobs.

In the 1990s, how many plays of 70s and 80s records were going on?

Yes, a few gems get lost in history but that's why society needs a few of us musos. We have the experience and love to keep certain artists 'alive'. Someone, who is now say 7 years old, may read a blog/forum post in another 7 years time about some very soon to be obscure band (let's say the band 90s band Chapterhouse) and suddenly that now 7 year old may become a fan of a niche band.

Some of the 'deep divers' among us are constantly picking up bands which seem like they're on the verge of dropping out of history.

20 years ago, I was finding out about early 70s and 80s relative obscurities like Alex Chilton and In the Nursery. This was thanks to music authors from books, magazines and a variety of websites.

I can't see Throwing Muses or JJ72 suddenly becoming popular at any time, but the music and influence may well live on.

I don't think gens X and Y are doing too bad in music history. Elvis was always mentioned when I was growing up as a supposed forerunner. For the current generations, the likes of New Order and Grandmaster Flash will still be regarded as forerunners in their own fields. Kurt Cobain as a figurehead of helping to break down misogyny in rock etc.

Is it a touch less depressing when viewed these ways?

PS may the wonderful music (new and old) live on.