Ban on political discussion

Any chance of a ban on political discussion.  I am here because i'm a vulnerable adult who needs support. Not be constantly agitated and wound up like it's a bloomin University Debating society.  There are plenty of other websites and areas of public life where people can share their political views.  Why does this have to be one of them?  I just want to come here and feel as though i'm amongst friends.  Feel supported etc.  Instead. Everywhere i go i'm the rebel.  How i am supposed to feel a part of this world if this is the case? 

• I too dislike talking about politics. My partner and I find that a lot of people simply can't help themselves but talk about it however when we just want to talk about other things just due to how tired we are of arguments because people can't seem to agree.

• Hi all,

I understand that politics can be a sensitive subject, and it may be the case that these posts can get quite heated. I appreciate may be stressful for some readers, and that some people feel very strongly about their political opinions.

Political discussion is allowed on this forum, and there is no view to banning it at this time. I would, however, like to take the opportunity to remind you to be respectful in your conversations and debates, as threads which break rule 4 (regarding personal jibes and insults) may result in the post being locked.

To read the rules in full, you can access them here: community.autism.org.uk/.../rules

Many thanks,

Dani Mod

• Ty. I'll  have a look when i'm in the mood for it. :)

• My problem is i am interested in politics AND it enrages and upsets me.  The two are not necessarily contradictory.  People assume that if you're political that you enjoy it. That you want to put your pipe and slippers on and test your cerebral abilities etc.

• Not a good idea to ban - discussion is a good thing! But also be aware that politics can be heated, as people can feel strongly about their views, and not everyone does so respectfully. Sometimes it's worth considering you and the person you're debating with are willing to discuss, or if it's just both of you shouting your opinion at each other and getting nowhere. If politics isn't something you want to see (even if the issue doesn't or shouldn't really be politicised), then it's best to let the others debate and argue. There are other places on the forum where people can support one another or discuss fun topics instead :) 

• I can recommend a youtube video from an English guy Lindybeige. Immigration - the great non-debate.

I've never seen a nicer way to depict how politics is actually run on both left and right by like-minded well educated people who just pick a position and try to frame it so their position is smart and the other therefore must be stupid. I hope you'll enjoy it. 

• I don't like debates and find the enrage me and make me meltdown psychologically.  I find the further you go up the economic strata the more people enjoy debates. Because it literally is "just a debate" to them. Of no consequence.

• That would be a pitty, I like these debates. 

What I also get is that if I really think something through, and I meet somebody that totally disagrees with me, I see that a bit as a strange thing, but more likely this is because that other person starts his reasoning from a slightly different angle than I and had some different experiences, so the conclusion is different. I find that interesting rather than frightening. 

• Unfortunately politics is inexorably linked to our lives, from shopping, to bus services to where people can park their cars, go to the theatre or the opening times of the municipal gardens.

I would only say that in most things we should respect opinions other than ours.  Public opinion is very fickle and can change rapidly.

• Hi Malojian

I'm very sorry you feel so frustrated and, having read the thread you are referring to, I can understand why. You are certainly not an outsider - I have similar views to yours but choose not to enter into discussion with anyone, regardless of their political persuasion, who uses language to demean or degrade those who simply have a differing opinion. I, personally, wouldn't mind political discussion if people were more mindful of how they treat others - there were some on the thread that I felt presented their views very respectfully, you being one of them. Unfortunately, it seems like we live in a world where nuanced conversation has been largely lost and now replaced by individuals feeling that they are justified in insulting others under the guise of political debate and agree totally that this is certainly not the forum for that sort of discourse. 

• agreed with plastic, there was no harm intended. I personally didn't wish to persuade you to take sides so commented for you to research. Maybe scroll past posts which upset you? 

I think there was only the one post but I may be wrong.

I hope you have a good day today

• I apologise if you feel unsupported - but if you join in an inflammatory political thread, be prepared for where it goes.

I feel no hostility towards you - in fact, I'd love to meet for a beer and chat it all over - I suspect it would be quite exhilarating to stretch the brain muscles.

I find typed words to be cludgy and easy to misinterpret the feelings or intent behind them - so again, if you feel there's anything personal, there's not.   Smiley