PC/Console Gaming

Just a general question for anyone else like myself who has an obsession for gaming. One of my obsessions is football so I enjoy playing an online football game against other gamers my only problem I seem to struggle with is my game play is slower than others and no matter how hard I try to rectify this problem I just cannot seem to fix it.

I've been playing on consoles/PC's for over 30 years. It gets to the point where I'm just annoyed and infuriated. Could this possibly have any link to my ASC? For example my brains processing speed.

On the other hand I have played games in the past like football managing games where I just end up winning everything and any simulation games I'm just really great at.

I'm still trying to figure out a lot about myself since my diagnosis last year.

Anyway I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe through these tough times.

• Have you ever considered that maybe the gadgets you use can be the problem? Maybe you need better graphics or lighting or sound.

• Absolutely agree. I don't mind a bit of strategy in games but if it gets too complicated I lose all ability or desire to think about anything. I'm also fine in video games until everything starts being thrown at me at once and then I don't have time to think or to coordinate my reactions to my thoughts and then it gets super-anxiety-inducing and I have to quit. 

• Thanks, Planet Coaster sounds like my kind of game too Slight smileThumbsup

• For anyone who enjoys theme park style games I can highly recommend planet coaster (available through steam on PC but coming to consoles soon), I have spent so many hours building theme parks on this game. One of the things I love most about it, is that you can build your own rollercoasters from scratch and virtually ride them using the ride cameras. They have other rides you can add to the parks but you can't build those from scratch yet (rides like carousels, pirate ships etc).

Also a massive fan of the sims, although I tend to build more than play the game, I find I get bored easily playing the actual game but building the houses I can spend hours doing.

• I'm more into retro gaming and computer programming rather than football, COD, and Assassin's Creed etc...

• Oh really? That sounds good, I’ll look into it Relaxed Thank you.

• I have been playing rollercoaster tycoon classic which is a modern rerelease of a game similar to theme park

• I haven’t got a PC unfortunately. But I’m thinking about getting a PS4 or Xbox, then I’ll probably hardly ever leave the house Joy I’m already thinking the Sims game. And Farming simulator, they should keep me busy Joy Take care.

• You can get The Sims for PC too, if you have one.

• If I had a PS4 or Xbox, I would definitely want the Sims game Relaxed

• we have also been playing games on computers and consoles for over 30 years. Our first one was a Commodore 16. Now my partner has a PS4 and I have an Xbox One. Neither of us play online - we don't even play together! I have always joked that we need t shirts printed saying "Doesn't Play Well With Others" ha ha!

I like simulation games - mainly The Sims, as I also enjoy the creativity of building, furnishing and decorating houses and community buildings. I can get totally absorbed in my own world. I play other games from time to time but always come back to The Sims, usually when a new game pack comes out. I'm currently enjoying creating and playing robots in the "Discover University" pack - I found the University game play pretty boring, but the robots are great!

• Not sure if it's autism related. But I find that when playing games (whether PC or board games) I tend to end up trying to always consider all the options before working out what to do. Some games where that's feasible I tend to be better when playing with friends. But once a game system is too complex to consider all the options I tend to grind to a halt - where others seem better with relying more on intuition.

Or if a game requires fast reaction times, I struggle if there's too much going on, but am fine if there's less to process. Like with 2D platformers which I used to play a lot (especially Sonic games) I tended to find quite easy. But give me a 3D platformer and I struggle to control the character at all.

But I don't think it matters to much about winning or losing a game, if you enjoy playing a game.  One friend who I play board games with, I know that 99% of the time I have no chance of beating him. I still try to win, but I basically know going in that I have little chance, so don' tend to focus on that and just enjoy playing. Though does make the occasion wins much more satisfying.

• Yeah I found that too, thought I was good at gaming until I got an Xbox live subscription and got my butt kicked lol.  I was always slower than other players until I'd get over my jittery nerves, occasionally I'd get into 'The Zone' and do very well.  I lost interest in competitive online gaming probably around twelve years ago, it seemed like there was an influx of new people coming online at the time and the atmosphere changed, became toxic even.  Reckon I'm too old and slow and uncool for that malarky now anyway.

I'm currently playing State of Decay 2 Juggernaut Edition on the PC.  Searching through empty supermarket shelves while fighting off a horde of plague zombies and freaks just to find that essential bag of food you need to live another day, one might be tempted to draw parallels with the real life situation we find ourselves in.

I also like city building sims, although if the management aspect of the game doesn't grab my interest I'll use a money cheat to just de-stress and focus on building up a beautiful but totally impractical city.

• I remember my friend had that game Theme Park. I always wanted myself, because it really sounded like my kind of game Slight smile

• I quite like the older, simpler tech.     I recently picked up an Atari ST for sequencing my keyboards.

• Laughing Brilliant. I did the same thing. I was very sneaky in raising the tax level to the maximum, and then dropping it down on Election Day Grimacing I do miss that game sometimes.

• My best buy years ago was a second hand Amiga 500 and sensible world of soccer and Ultimate Manager were my favourite games.

• Great replies. I do enjoy playing against the computer because I can set the level of difficulty to more my level which is more enjoyable as it feels more of a level playing field. 

I used to play a game called theme park years ago and I used to spend hours and hours on it. I loved watching my cleaners walking around the park cleaning up the litter and vomit. I had a lot of cleaners working maybe it was my ocd but I loved having a tidy and clean theme park. : )

• Many years ago, my wife was playing Sim City on an Amiga 1200 - I watched her for a bit and figured out the underlying strategy so in one marathon night, I started a city and built it to the maximum extent of the game in one go - the trick was a 100% tax rate for 364 days a year and then a 0% rate on election day - I was loved by my people and I had buckets of tax revenue to build as fast as the game would let me.  Smiley

Playing against people builds lots of unpredictability and too many unknowns into the game which spoils the fun.  Smiley

• I agree. I don’t play computer games anymore. But when I did, I always preferred playing games that I was in control of. Years ago my favourite game on the SNES was Sim City. And more recently my favourite game would be Farming Simulator. Both of those games you’re in total control of what does or doesn’t happen. But saying that, I have played football games, but I only liked playing against the computer. I found, when I did play anything against other people online, I found it intimidating. I used to find some people get aggressive, which I didn’t like, so I stopped online gaming. But I understand what you’re saying, it must be really frustrating to know that you’re really good at the football game, but can’t seem to put it into practice.