Unfair treatment in school

Hi I'm genie, 2 sons on the spectrum . One in mainstream and one in a DSP.

I've just taken a call from my friend and want to offer some advice but I'm a bit unsure what to say. Her son (10) has not been allowed to join in with his class trips out for months because once he ran off. He is in the autism unit class of 8. 

He has been doing really well with his  behaviour and told he would be able to join his class going out again...until yesterday, when child in another class was aggravating him and he had a bit of a meltdown. Now they want to stop him going out tomorrow again. 

His teacher said in front of him to his mother a few days ago he would be joining the class out and about..  and this evening they rang the mother to say he wouldn't and she is very upset and refuses to be the one to tell him and deal with the stress..

Seems really unfair he is being punished to me..

Any advice?

Parents
  • Under the Equality Act the school has a legal duty to put reasonable adjustments in place. What adjustments are the school putting in place, such as one-to-one support, to enable this boy to participate fully in school life? If I was mum I'd be wanting to have this explained and would follow the school's complaints procedure if she isn't satisfied that the school are fulfilling their duty.

• Under the Equality Act the school has a legal duty to put reasonable adjustments in place. What adjustments are the school putting in place, such as one-to-one support, to enable this boy to participate fully in school life? If I was mum I'd be wanting to have this explained and would follow the school's complaints procedure if she isn't satisfied that the school are fulfilling their duty.

Children
No Data