What’s everyone doing this weekend?

I am in a caravan (week on holiday) currently watching match of the day (not my choice) with my 2 year old who won’t go to sleep! Earlier I went to Wroxham barns with my 5 year old and bought souvenirs in the gift shops, went in the animal farm part and had afternoon tea with my 5 year old. I just wondered what everyone else is doing this weekend? 

Parents
  • So far I have been for a run yesterday, and on that topic finally braved a shopping mall today to buy new running shoes since my old ones are so worn down I can feel every small piece of gravel through the soles.

I'm sitting at home with my new purchase panicking over the money I spent, wanting but not wanting to wear them. 

If I don't wear them I can avoid finding out if they disappoint. Disappointment is hard to overcome. If I wear them, I won't be able to return them to the shop.  I don't need anything fancy, just neutral shoes as I'm a midfoot striker, but what if I feel pain 4km into my run? And they are so expensive.

I wanted to buy online but my previous shoes aren't made any more so I had to start from the beginning and try them on. 

• You’re more motivated than me! I do keep intending to exercise but it never quite happens! What type of running shoes did you buy? Have you worn them yet?

Reply Children
  • I'm glad that the soles of your new shoes are good, hopefully you can stretch the uppers a bit. Although personally I like my shoes to half strangle my feet (and always break my shoelaces as a result!) but that's just me!

I 'really' need to find the motivation to start walking again!

• thanks for asking! the "ride" was good meaning that the soles are perfect and feel natural through the stride.  The uppers of the shoes feel tight so i hope they will stretch a bit.   

Walking is also great!   I run at night because the darkness cocoons me and I don't have to see my stupid shadow lunging along with knock knees . But if i have free time in the daylight, walking is definitely up there. Mentally, it's so good.

• I need to bake some more bread, I haven't baked any for ages but there's nothing quite like the smell, and taste, of home baked bread!

• Pink running shoes are always good :-) I can't run as I'm hypermobile so the impact on my knee joints (which have creaked since I was a small child) wouldn't be good (at least that's what I keep telling myself anyway!). Once I do eventually find motivation, I stick to walking, which can still be beneficial as long as I walk quite quickly.

How did your run go?

• Oh and I baked bread :-)   Kind of cancelling out the running, calorie-wise .....

• My main aim is not to get pinched toes, toenail pain or callouses from feet sliding around in the shoes. As long as I get a comfortable ride, I relax and *never* get injured in my joints.  All running shoes seem to have thicker soles this season so once i whittled down to the non pointy toes and women's shoes,  then eliminated huge thick soles with bubbles and gel in, my choice was limited to 2 shoes, both pink :-|   

I keep telling myself i need to go to a proper running shop with a treadmill but I can't face all the pro types that hang out there talking about sport. It was easier when i lived in London: there were geek running shops in the bank district that were almost empty on Saturdays. 

Lets see, my next run is tonight.