Pointless

Does anyone ever have days where everything seems so utterly, maddeningly, ridiculously pointless? Where everyone is saying things to you about so and so budget this, or so and so deadline that, but all you can think of is why? None of this matters. And I have another 50, maybe even 60 years of this left. Fantastic. Not every day is like this but they are becoming more frequent. Does no one else see how pointless things are? I feel like I'm walking around in a bubble and my brain has decided not to take in any more information. I'm not expecting anyone to respond to this btw. I'm just thinking. I don't understand the world at all today.

Parents
  • Yes, absolutely.

I spent a long time being incredibly disheartened by the fact that my work seemed to be about solving an unending series of jigsaw puzzles created by other people working in the same environment, and the purpose of home life was simply to recover from it in order to face it again the next day. I used to envy surgeons (for example) for fixing *people*, whereas I was simply solving fairly artificial problems created by other people for similarly artificial reasons.

At least now (2 maybe 3 years later) I'm at least enjoying the jigsaw puzzles again and seeing home life as the main point.

I got to that point (the first position) by experiencing burnout. Just checking that doesn't apply to you? (It can creep up on you).

I have about 15 years left of the jigsaw puzzles - hopefully a bit longer for home life........

• All I care about at work is getting the right solution and getting it constructed safely. But what I'm told to do is fudge numbers, or get less experienced people because they make us more money. You are correct - it's disheartening. But even larger than that - everything seems pointless to me today. I think I've probably escaped along the edge of burnout by frequently changing jobs. I guess I have to keep this one until I can work out a more longer term goal. But I can't work in long term when it's difficult to see past today. I'm trying to cope with this by creating a nice little haven in my garden - a little seating area with a pond. Shame its been so rainy I haven't been able to finish it yet and actually use it : ( thank you for replying IDWCC, I feel a bit less alone

• All I care about at work is getting the right solution and getting it constructed safely. But what I'm told to do is fudge numbers, or get less experienced people because they make us more money. You are correct - it's disheartening. But even larger than that - everything seems pointless to me today. I think I've probably escaped along the edge of burnout by frequently changing jobs. I guess I have to keep this one until I can work out a more longer term goal. But I can't work in long term when it's difficult to see past today. I'm trying to cope with this by creating a nice little haven in my garden - a little seating area with a pond. Shame its been so rainy I haven't been able to finish it yet and actually use it : ( thank you for replying IDWCC, I feel a bit less alone

Children