TV plots disturbing me.

I am now finding myself severely affected mentally, by the plots in TV programmes.   Sometimes for opposite reasons.

Last night, or should I say this morning. I watched an episode of a touch of frost, from midnight to 2am.  I couldn't sleep after that.

The main plot was kidnapping & murder and some petty unpleasant characters.  I was watching and waiting for further twists and turns in the plot.  That never came.  The bad guys were predictable and awful, the police were third rate and inept.  And I was very upset and disturbed .

Last month I was equally upset when watching the final episode in series one of the American /Canadian drama, 'Mary kills people '.  There the problem was that the final twist in the episode took me totally by surprise. 

So a predictable plot upsets me and an unpredictable twist also upsets me.

I'm in a mental mess and can't sleep.

• I have a warped sense of humour that few people get.

Sometimes I am watching serious discussions ( sometimes politics) on TV and I find them hilarious. 

• Does anyone else find some programmes which are meant to be funny not at all amusing? I'm thinking of "You've been Framed" in particular. My children like it, but I usually end up leaving the room.

Some of the clips of cute animals are entertaining, but I remember one clip of a hamster falling off a table because it had a large biscuit in its mouth and couldn't see where it was going. All I could do was wonder whether it had survived the fall or been injured.

I have no idea why it's seen as hilarious when a man gets hit in the n**s by something, for instance, or why an adult leaping out unexpectedly at a small child to make them scream in fear is acceptable. What am I missing?

• I remember the original series of Reginald Perrin . It's the kind of humour which you either get it or you don't. 

• The remake of Reggie Perrin was filmed near me. The building where my grandfather used to work was used as Sunshine Desserts. So I like to tell people "Grandad worked at Sunshine Desserts". Slight smile

• The closest I came was when Mr bean was filmed in Southsea in the early 90s.. I'm usually in a world of my own and walked straight through the set when they were filming.. David Jason.. Rowan Atkinson.. all time greats..

• The nearest I came to be in 'A touch of frost ' was when my local laundrette was closed all afternoon for filming.  They made a big thing about it.  Posters on the door and walls, announcing the afternoon closure due to filming.  I was there when the production film crew arrived.

• Filmed locally..! can it feel at times that after watching an episode on tv that when you go out to some of these places it seems real and that your in some way like an extra in the program..? Have you ever been in any of the programs..?

I was talking the other day to my one and only friend and he said he thought I was depressed.. unfortunately I never see depression in myself until hind sight..

I rely on my friend heavily and I'm sure he's a better friend to me than I am to him.. he's so tolerant and patient.. 

For what it's worth Robert123 I'll be your friend for if you ever want to talk crap or have a laugh.. I'm sure you don't feel that way right now but the offers there...

• I have reasons for watching these programs.

A touch of frost is one of my favourites because it's filmed locally.  And in every episode I see scenes I recognise,  the town hall, a railway station,  the exterior of his police station etc etc.

But the characters are so awful and depressing. 

Frost himself is a stereotype of a provincial PC plod.

Other programs I watch about mystery, murder and death because I'm suicidal and severely depressed. 

• I agree a lot of tv seems to circulate around murder, misery or death.. I also record almost everything these days as then I can fast forward through the what I find very disturbing adverts.. a donkey with a bad leg or advertising a program about delivering babies with graphic detail or do I need a funeral plan otherwise my family will suffer.. fast forward, fast forward, fast forward..

Love tipping point at the moment..!!

• Pointless is on now. Perhaps the most soothing of all quiz shows.  Slight smile  Slight smile

• You just need to be a bit more selective about what you watch. As I type this I'm watching The Chase on the Challenge channel. I suppose it's possible that Bradley Walsh might give me nightmares but hopefully I shall get a good night's sleep.  Slight smile

• The main problem here is that these were TV shows involving murder!

I was on holiday in Southend-on-Sea in Essex once and looked in the window of Waterstone's bookshop on the high street there and to my horror every book in the advertisement display was either about Hitler or a murder mystery. It looked so bleak and scary.

Try to watch something uplifting like a comedy or a science or arts documentary every time after you watch something like A Touch of Frost. It might help ease your nerves.

• I've also found modern tv just too nasty to watch - give me a Doris Day film anytime.    I get the box to record a string of interesting factual programmes in the night so there's always something 'neutral' to watch if I'm wide awake.    I watched The Dressmaker last night - a very clever film.