Disability or not

With reference to the Twitter storm over Chris Packham's comments 

here    My assessment report said there have to be impairments in social communication, social imagination and social interaction

for an appropriate diagnosis to be made. Is impairment synonymous with disability though?

Parents
  • I think it's down to personal perception/experience - some may identify with having a disability, whereas others won't. I think the most respectful thing to do is to let individuals self-identify.

However, for the purpose of being protected by the Equality Act 2010, Citizens Advice gives the following guidance:

The Equality Act 2010 sets out when someone is considered to be disabled and protected from discrimination. The definition is quite wide - so check it even if you don’t think you’re disabled. For example, you might be covered if you have a learning difficulty, dyslexia or autism.

The definition is set out in section 6 of the Equality Act 2010. It says you’re disabled if:

• you have a physical or mental impairment
    • that impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
  • I think it's down to personal perception/experience - some may identify with having a disability, whereas others won't. I think the most respectful thing to do is to let individuals self-identify.

However, for the purpose of being protected by the Equality Act 2010, Citizens Advice gives the following guidance:

The Equality Act 2010 sets out when someone is considered to be disabled and protected from discrimination. The definition is quite wide - so check it even if you don’t think you’re disabled. For example, you might be covered if you have a learning difficulty, dyslexia or autism.

The definition is set out in section 6 of the Equality Act 2010. It says you’re disabled if:

• you have a physical or mental impairment
    • that impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
Children
No Data