People with autism can hear more than most.

As you might know, I am obsessed with my ears now.

I found this article which pleased me from The Independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/people-with-autism-can-hear-more-than-most-which-can-be-a-strength-and-a-challenge-a7715266.html

Enjoy Nerd

• This was an interesting article, thanks for posting it. My hearing is weird! I have bilateral hearing impairment, 70% loss at some frequencies. Without my hearing aids in, I couldn't hear what the person next to me is saying but I could still hear an irritating noise that I didn't want to hear! I got woken up the other night, just after I'd gone to sleep, by a low humming sound! I had to track down the source of the sound before I could settle and go back to sleep. It turned out to be a road maintenance vehicle doing some work on the dual carriageway at the bottom of our garden! I don't understand how I even heard it at all! I also have near perfect pitch, I always have had, I taught myself to play recorder; treble recorder; clarinet (not too much) and steel drums when I was at Primary school, just through having a good ear for pitch, despite having rubbish hearing??? Background noise is also a big irritation, especially if I'm trying to concentrate on something, it's a big cause of the hearing aids being switched off :-)

• I am the same with smells. I could smell burning at work. Nobody else could smell it. Two hours latersomebody discovers the grill has been left on and is now smoking away like Hilda Ogden 

• Yes i read this it that makes interesting reading although its a bit repetitive with 2 paragraphs repeated.

I find noise a real headache. Noise has caused me untold problems in work when trying to concentrate. Interestingly though when I was studying I always used to listen to music as well and that helped me concentrate, maybe because the noise was under my control? I went shopping to Ikea the other day and the fire alarm went off, think it was a toast burning thing, but I couldn't get out of there fast enough the noise in one of my ears especially was excruciating, i got outside the store and blasted Nirvana from my phone as loud as it would go to drown it out....  i usually play music when I go into shops if I'm on my own anyway and avoid them if its busy.

I have also been accused of being paranoid about noises in my home the person I live with took 2 days longer to hear the same noise, I can't remember exactly what it was but it was like a low hum coming from a piece of electrical equipment.