The Vulnerability Experiences Quotient (VEQ)

Co‐morbid mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression are extremely common in autistic adults. Vulnerability to negative life experiences such as victimisation and unemployment may be partially responsible for the development of these conditions. Here we measure the frequency of negative life experiences in autistic adults and explore how these are associated with current anxiety and depression symptoms and life satisfaction. We developed the Vulnerability Experiences Quotient (VEQ) through stakeholder consultation. The VEQ includes 60 items across 10 domains. Autistic adults with a clinical diagnosis and non‐autistic controls completed the VEQ, screening measures for anxiety and depression, and a life‐satisfaction scale in an online survey.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/.../aur.2162

Parents
  • Not surprising, and it's about time issues of victimisation and discrimination against autistic children and adults were foregrounded rather than what a 'tragedy' an autistic child is to parents. I don't want to minimise the issues for parents of intellectually disabled children but parents may actually be emotionally abusive rather than the 'victim' and the principal sufferer is always going to be the autistic person.

• Not surprising, and it's about time issues of victimisation and discrimination against autistic children and adults were foregrounded rather than what a 'tragedy' an autistic child is to parents. I don't want to minimise the issues for parents of intellectually disabled children but parents may actually be emotionally abusive rather than the 'victim' and the principal sufferer is always going to be the autistic person.

Children
  • I think there is power in accepting any disability and allowing your child to grow up with full knowledge, not only if their diagnosis and everything that comes with that, but also in the knowledge that they are loved unconditionally. Those children know that they will always have a safety net, way in to their adult years. Children who are are given the message that what their caregivers want is for them to be ‘normal’ - or something other than who they are - spend all of their time and energy trying to maintain a mask. The mask is unsustainable and creates the anxiety and the fear.

• I remember reading a discussion on one forum about whether or not autistics were more vulnerable to narcissists. It does make you wonder if a lot of these parents form an aspie-narc duo, with children in tow used as a sympathy chips for the narc parent who inherit autism. In my mind, it would certainly explain the huge and very vocal communities surrounding "carers" for autistics that funnel resources away from direct or adult services.