Does anyone else have a massive problem with food textures?

Will writes

Does anyone else have a massive problem with food textures? I hate liquify or runny food like coleslaw, just looking at it makes me feel ill. I would rather look at a dead body than some of the food in the world.

It makes it really difficult for dinners and restaurants if I ever go with anyone. The taste often isn’t the matter it’s the texture, like bananas, I won’t eat bananas because of the texture but I do like the taste so I’ll have banana flavoured stuff like milkshakes or muffins.

Does this occur in anyone else’s lives.

Parents
  • As a young child, I used to have a very strong aversion to stewed rhubarb, boiled potatoes, rusks, boiled and baked apple. The apparently logical reason at the time was that I was given these things ad nauseaum because I had an acute form of  jaundice. Those things just about kept me alive, but I learnt to hate them with a vengeance for quite a few years thereafter. I certainly used to gag on rhubarb and baked apple. And i sometimes had a minder who seemed to think it was essential for me to eat these things under rather stern pressure, even though my body seemed to react quite heavily against them. But most of those things are now very acceptable, but I still try to avoid rhubarb. Perhaps because the rest of the family seem to think it is ambrosia. I'm very keen on coleslaw and bananas though. There is actually very little i won't eat and enjoy, even though i seem to have an allergy or two. But yes, I do seem to think that the rhubarb thing is something to do with texture; as I hate some tropical fruits of similar texture. But love very aromatic and spicy food/things. (But when it comes to some cosmetics and haircare products, i really do go out of my way [Mr Bean style] to avoid them.) Come to think about it, i also used not to like custard or rice pudding with a skin on them, but perhaps that was something to do with them often accompanying the dreaded rhubarb. i should add that i have eaten rhubarb in recent years and quite enjoyed it, but that was perhaps because it is favored by some airlines as a means to settle the stomach; and is additionally prepared in a less slimy manner than is traditional. Coconuts, avocados, rice pudding, and almonds are all things that help to keep me relatively sane; I love them. I also note I used to have a problem with foods that were a bit stringy because they had been picked a bit too late. But not any longer. Now, I am of the opinion that fibrous foods are the staff of life! One certainly can adapt over the decades!

• As a young child, I used to have a very strong aversion to stewed rhubarb, boiled potatoes, rusks, boiled and baked apple. The apparently logical reason at the time was that I was given these things ad nauseaum because I had an acute form of  jaundice. Those things just about kept me alive, but I learnt to hate them with a vengeance for quite a few years thereafter. I certainly used to gag on rhubarb and baked apple. And i sometimes had a minder who seemed to think it was essential for me to eat these things under rather stern pressure, even though my body seemed to react quite heavily against them. But most of those things are now very acceptable, but I still try to avoid rhubarb. Perhaps because the rest of the family seem to think it is ambrosia. I'm very keen on coleslaw and bananas though. There is actually very little i won't eat and enjoy, even though i seem to have an allergy or two. But yes, I do seem to think that the rhubarb thing is something to do with texture; as I hate some tropical fruits of similar texture. But love very aromatic and spicy food/things. (But when it comes to some cosmetics and haircare products, i really do go out of my way [Mr Bean style] to avoid them.) Come to think about it, i also used not to like custard or rice pudding with a skin on them, but perhaps that was something to do with them often accompanying the dreaded rhubarb. i should add that i have eaten rhubarb in recent years and quite enjoyed it, but that was perhaps because it is favored by some airlines as a means to settle the stomach; and is additionally prepared in a less slimy manner than is traditional. Coconuts, avocados, rice pudding, and almonds are all things that help to keep me relatively sane; I love them. I also note I used to have a problem with foods that were a bit stringy because they had been picked a bit too late. But not any longer. Now, I am of the opinion that fibrous foods are the staff of life! One certainly can adapt over the decades!

Children
No Data