Good Morning

Something that has always amused me is people saying "Good Morning" to each other. Or even just "Morning" which I assume means the same thing. But can someone explain to me what it actually mean? Is it "Having a good morning?" "Have a good morning" "This is a good morning" because they all mean different things and I don't know how to answer. Is it intended as a question? I know all you're supposed to do is just answer "Good morning" back but I don't like not understanding what it means. I guess it means different things depending on who's asking, right? Because why would anything be consistent? :P and don' get me started on the ""how are you" question that usually follows. This is so confusing! I don't think you're actually supposed to answer it, I think it's meant as a prompt to ask the other person how they are. But again, never really understood. Can anyone enlighten me? I know something so trivial shouldn't bother me but I've always been baffled by this ritual. 

Parents
  • I think the whole greeting would be "I wish you a good morning" which is a very priggish Victorian ritual.  As with most things, it gets shortened down - maybe in a few years it will be reduced to Mo.

How are you? always baffles me too - I'm seriously ill so do they really want to know? Really?  I suspect these greetings are a bit like cats blinking to each other as "I am no threat to you" or "I wish you no specific harm" and so people don't need to immediately reach for their swords.

• Ha that would be funny, everyone just saying Mo to each other :p I've been reading the "Guide to Earthlings" book thats been mentioned a few times in these forums and I think you could be right, it's not really meant as a greeting, more of a quick test. It's a good book actually I'm learning a lot. 

• Ha that would be funny, everyone just saying Mo to each other :p I've been reading the "Guide to Earthlings" book thats been mentioned a few times in these forums and I think you could be right, it's not really meant as a greeting, more of a quick test. It's a good book actually I'm learning a lot. 

Children
No Data