Worry Chains

Does anyone get so worried about things in life that they start catastrophising?

I do that all the time recently. I have been so anxious. One thing leads to another and it's like a mind map

with bunting or a ghost with heavy silver chains starts to subsist their right in the back of my mind...

Ugh feeling so low right now.

Parents
  • Yes. 100%.

I did this massively around 8 years ago, and it came about via a desire for certainty (& if certainty couldn't be had, I would take two or three alternative certainties, if that makes sense).

*Eventually* I managed to use the techniques of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (some with a therapist, but the majority alone) to say things to myself quite firmly "This is not helping", "You've been here before in your thoughts and it didn't help - in fact it damaged your mental health", "STOP!", "React to what happens, not what might happen",

This is a very personal journey and (unfortunately) no-one else can do it for you (us).

I know what you mean about the mind map / chains etc - that's what I meant about following every possible thread so that you can say with certainty "ONE of these things will happen 100% and if it does, this is how I will react / what it will mean for me". I've constructed worry chains starting with for e.g. a minor accidental breach of a speed limit leading to me being murdered in prison! Even typing that feels risky, as if some cosmic policeman will take my alleged admission of once breaking a speed limit and damn me eternally for it.

You *can* beat it, but it takes determination.

• I am constantly worried I'll be framed for murder when I happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and I won't have the language skills to explain myself properly and I end up being found guilty. I pretty much think about this every day for as long as I remember, along with many other things. I had no idea this might be related to autism. 

• I am constantly worried I'll be framed for murder when I happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and I won't have the language skills to explain myself properly and I end up being found guilty. I pretty much think about this every day for as long as I remember, along with many other things. I had no idea this might be related to autism. 

Children
  • Your not being irrational, occasionally people with Autism get Mental Health Problems or are often mistaken to have them, I was in hospital because they thought that my Autism was a Mental Health Problem and its not its just a Neurological Difference! Its okay to worry because neurotypicals dont think like Autistic people do so they dont know what our normal is.

• I guess I'm still learning how autism affects me. I suppose in reality it doesn't affect me, it just is me, so everything I do or experience is my brain reacting to the various inputs and reading them differently to most people. I used to get a lot of strange thoughts and I genuinely thought I was going crazy, so I've always kept it hidden because I don't want to end up in hospital. But even writing that down I know I'm being irrational.

• That's strange I think lots of Autistic People feel the same, I often worry that I'm going to get in trouble myself for no reason. I guess thats a common fear for our community.

• I've never admitted that to anyone before. I assumed it was just my crazy brain spouting crazies at me. Which I guess it still is in a way.