Went to first Aspergers and High functioning Autism Social Group this evening

So, I managed to get along to the much anticipated monthly Aspergers/HFASD social group in my town this evening. The group itself was not really for me to be honest, largely due the the fact that I was the only female there. I don't of course have any issue with men it's just that men and women relate to each other in different ways and it would have been nice if the group had had a few other women that I could talk with. However, while I was there, one of the support workers who works there popped her head in the room an hour into the meeting and asked if she could have a chat with me in another room. She said that when woman do turn up to the group she had been asking them if they have considered starting up a facebook group for women with Aspergers/ASD in the local area with a view to facilitate social meet ups, as this was a much needed service as many women, like myself didn't feel that the 'official' social group was their cup of tea. She'd had no joy prior to me but I was happily able to say, well actually I have been planning to do exactly that and already have half of the planning for it done on my laptop. I'm so excited that I've decided to bite the bullet and get the group up and running tonight and tomorrow as not only will this create a useful resource for myself but it is clearly a much needed resource for other omen with Aspergers/ASD in my area. It was such a happy coincidence to have met that support worker this evening and it really gave me a lot more motivation and encouragement to just ignore my fears and just go for it with regards setting up the online group. A productive evening!

Parents
  • That’s great news Kitsun. It’s funny though, because even though I’m female, I wouldn’t go to a group with only women and while I have started to talk to the women at my group, I always sit with the guys and I’ve only ever met with the guys outside of the meeting. I’ve rarely had female friends as I don’t relate to women in the same way as I do men. I make friends easily with men but I don’t really have much time for women. 

But I'm thrilled for you. One of the things I love about my group is that we go out once a month for something to eat and we’re kind of starting with monthly activities as well although I love our weekly group as well. It sounds like you’ll set up a similar thing for you and your new friends ~ I know you’ll attract them. Just stick with it,if it feels a bit slow at first, not that it will but if it does, give it time. 

The great thing is though that you faced your fears and that means, you can do that again, when needs be. 

Best wishes to your new group. That’s one more opening for autistic people to get together :) 

• Just wanted to say that I'm like this too but the other way round - as a man, I find that in a mixed group I'd much rather talk to the women than the men!

This isn't just due to the fact that I can't bear traditional "blokieness" & men's attitudes to women (& femininity in men) that still sadly prevail, but also that I feel the company of *most* men disconcerting and anxiety-provoking. In contrast, I find the presence of *most* women soothing most of the time. There are obviously exceptions to both of these statements :-).

• Yeah, I can’t stand all that touchy feely nicey nicey stuff that women tend to do.  I like the more blunt, straight talk that men tend to do. I think women are more friendly, but as I’ve never been in the business of collecting friendships, that side of women never appealed to me and I don’t like how they’re all supportive and caring etc, that just makes me want to puke and I start saying outrageous things. 

I’m more in touch with my masculine side while you’re most likely more in touch with your feminine side. We are all made up of both aspects and I’m sure, like me, you can hang out with guys as well, but you’re more suited to the presence of females. 

• You're really lucky that you come from a big family BlueRay, it must be comforting to know that you have their back up and support. I don't come from a big family, I have no siblings, I don't see my mum nor do I intend to, my dad and my grandparents are all dead, I see my uncles occasionally and I have a cousin that I meet up with every so often. I sometimes wish that I had a big family, my husband does, including half siblings he has 8 brothers and sisters (that's just being greedy if you ask me!) but it has made me self reliant and resilient. The only person that is going to look after me is me. 

• Really well, they love me. They finally realised, after seeing how I corrupted all their friends, that it was me who was corrupting all the other guys I had been hanging out with, not the other way around, so there was no point trying to keep me away from them and they began embracing my friends as well. I tell my family that I bring interest to their lives! ;) I've lived with both my brother and sister, several times at different times, and just like everybody else, they always end up kicking me out but they still love me, we still get on. We've got a big family and we're close and I'm definitely the odd one out but they all quite like to follow what I get up to and they all wonder where I came from! No wonder I thought I was an alien! Lol! But they all back me up, even when I'm in prison, they have never turned their backs on me, even if they couldn't have me living with them at times. 

• Really well, they love me. They finally realised, after seeing how I corrupted all their friends, that it was me who was corrupting all the other guys I had been hanging out with, not the other way around, so there was no point trying to keep me away from them and they began embracing my friends as well. I tell my family that I bring interest to their lives! ;) I've lived with both my brother and sister, several times at different times, and just like everybody else, they always end up kicking me out but they still love me, we still get on. We've got a big family and we're close and I'm definitely the odd one out but they all quite like to follow what I get up to and they all wonder where I came from! No wonder I thought I was an alien! Lol! But they all back me up, even when I'm in prison, they have never turned their backs on me, even if they couldn't have me living with them at times. 

Children
  • You're really lucky that you come from a big family BlueRay, it must be comforting to know that you have their back up and support. I don't come from a big family, I have no siblings, I don't see my mum nor do I intend to, my dad and my grandparents are all dead, I see my uncles occasionally and I have a cousin that I meet up with every so often. I sometimes wish that I had a big family, my husband does, including half siblings he has 8 brothers and sisters (that's just being greedy if you ask me!) but it has made me self reliant and resilient. The only person that is going to look after me is me.