Indecision

Does anyone else find it difficult to make decisions? It feels like the more mundane the choice the more difficulty I have. For example, if I want to buy a birthday card for my sister, I'll go to the shop and they'll be hundreds of options. So I'll narrow it down to something she'll like - cats for instance. But they'll still be 20 cards with cats on. I know that it doesn't matter which card I get. Its just the act of receiving a birthday card that matters. However I will stress over which is the "best" card, even though there is no wrong or right answer. What eventually happens is I get so stressed over choosing the right card I will just leave the shop without buying anything. I have indecision with a lot of things but it's definitely worse with decisions that have no consequences. It's almost as if my brain has to find the most logical correct solution and if there is no clear distinction between the options it just freezes. 

• Me too. That’s what I said when I got them. It was like they give me a comfort I never knew I needed, and I too honestly never realised the impact that noise has on me! It’s weird but I’m so glad I took the chance on them. They help life slow down and even when I’m alone, they take my alone time to another level. 

We should be advertising for headphones! Lol! 

• It's the strangest sensation - almost like putting on a warm comforting blanket. I had no idea how tense and on edge I am when I'm in public spaces, genuinely I had no idea. But when you put the noise cancelling on, suddenly I feel as at ease as if I were in my own living room. Almost as if my body had been trying to tell me how uncomfortable it was, but I didn't pick up on it at all until I had this alternative to compare it to. 

• Ahhh I love this, honestly, I was going to write a post on headphones update because the longer I have them, the more amazing they are. I’ve discovered, that say, 3 hours with the headphones on, either just noise cancelling or music or whatever, is something like the equivalent of 9 hours by myself without headphones, when I need to unwind.  And I know what you mean, I don’t want to take mine off See no evil and I’ve never really thought about what mine look like on! I wore a hat over them the other day when it was raining! Lol! I must have looked a sight then! 

They’re amazing for when I meditate (noise cancelling) and I’ve discovered that you can get some little earbud type things that actually play soothing music to help you sleep!!!!!! They’re £299. I think but I want them! Lol! 

Thanks for letting me know. I knew how much they changed my life in ways I hadn’t even thought I’d before so I knew they were worth a try. And I agree, worth every penny :) 

• Update: noise cancelling headphones might possibly be the best thing I've ever purchased! I have worn them on a plane, in a coffee shop at the airport, walking along a busy road, in a museum. They look stupidly big on me but I don't care, I'm not being overly dramatic, they are transformational. My only issue is it's horrible when you take them off because you're hit with a wall of sound. Thanks BlueRay for encouraging me to make the, admittedly, expensive purchase. Worth every penny :)

• I can relate! Well explained 

• I have become an expert at overanalysing things and can not even decide whether to drink tea coffee or water when asked.

I don't feel I deserve fancy coffee and I do enjoy tap water, so why the expense of a fancy coffee that is making someone money or takes more trouble??

But then I am not aware of thirst so why anything, but not wanting to be antisocial or odd so................ and so it goes on

• I used to be indecisive but now I just can't make up my mind...

I think through things endlessly, whether I should have something or not, or whether something is right or wrong. I will go home not buying something, go back next day and find it gone.  And that is just a packet of crisps!

A lot of time is spent wondering whether I really need it or not.  And often the conclusion is I don't.

• Fabulous. I’d love to know how you get on with them, please let us know. I’ve just got mine on charge and when they’re charged I’m going to listen to a nice loving kindness meditation or something. I think I did my head in yesterday listening to Amy Winehouse, over and over again, loud, through the headphones, but it helped me through a weird feeling state - and now I just want to listen to something lovely and soothing. I think I’ll look for some mantra music. 

Good luck with them. I’m excited for you Blush

• Breakthrough! I took your advice and bought the headphones off Amazon, arriving this afternoon. I'm quite excited now :) and as it's Amazon it's quite easy to return them if they aren't right. 

• I find it really hard to make lots of decisions. I get very overwhelmed with choices and will over think of the rationale for each. I find it helpful to have someone else with me if I need to make a decision e.g. to buy something. If I am on my own it is just too stressful and I can't concentrate properly.

• I just bit the bullet and went for it. I decided that I would buy the ones which were the most comfortable and go for what I thought were amongst the best and just give them a try. I thought if they don’t make much difference, I’ll have a nice set of headphones and I’ll know that noise cancelling headphones don’t really help me. So I can look to something else. But honestly, so far, they’ve been a god send. I honestly never realised the extent of sensory overload until I put the headphones on. It’s like my world suddenly slowed down and it was like walking outside when it’s thick with snow. Everything became softer. And even when I don’t wear them, because I don’t want to wear them all the time, the noise seems more manageable. 

I say go for it. You’ll never know until you try. And I doubt you’ll be on your death bed thinking, I just wish I never bought those headphones, they were such a mistake. 

• That made me laugh out loud because that’s what I used to be like! Lol! I still do all the mad research and stuff - it feels vital, real and definitely important at the time - but I make my purchases much quicker as I’ve made a deal with myself, that I only buy it if I’m prepared to find I’m not happy with it or don’t really want it or whatever, because otherwise, I realised, I’d never buy anything! But they’re never based on the research! Lol! I’m still not really into stuff, and I’m in the process of a mass clear out, but as much as I’m not into stuff, it’s like I can’t let go of anything. I save tons of stuff, for ‘craft’ but my sister pointed out, I’ve never done a craft thing in my life, lol, but I might, I say!!!! I’ve hung on for years, to ridiculous stuff but I’ve broken the spell. I’m waiting for my son to bring me a fire bin and I’m gonna get going with a mass burn out! 

• I know what you mean. I would really like to get some noise cancelling headphones as I think they would be a huge help to me. But I just can't decide which ones and they are very very expensive. So a year later, I still haven't bought any. 

• I'm not too bad with "small" purchases....but things like TV, car, etc I spend months researching, making spreadsheets etc then still don't bother...my TV is about 18 years old!!

• Yes massively. I need all the information to make a decision. And I worry that I will make the wrong decision. I don't like it when my decision impacts on someone else and worry about being responsible for the decision.