Starting an Aspergers/ASD online group for my local area

So, after mulling it over for some time I have decided that I am going to go ahead and start up a facebook group for people with Aspergers/ASD in my area :-) Partly because I need this service and partly because I believe that the area that I live in needs this service. I'm starting the planning part of this now so I'm working on that in-between posting on here. Any advice or ideas from you guys is of course most welcome.....

Parents
  • Hey guys - it’s easy to start a group without FB... If you start a group on FB - it’s not yours ever. It’s owned by FB. And they can and do just move the goalposts and you will be powerless to do anything at all about it. I’ve seen it happen over and over again since the start of FB. 

You could use PHB forums or Wordpress instead. 100 times more professional and you’ll have control. Honestly FB is evil and is hijacking our tech in the form of Survielalance Capitolism. 

• Absolutely agree. I much prefer traditional websites and forums, like phpBB or VBulletin, to FB. The owner has full control of their website whereas with FB they are at the mercy of Mark Zuckerberg and his business interests.

FB is trying to centralise and take over the internet whereas forums are decentralised.

• Phew - someone out there agrees! Excuse while I break down in tears of happiness! 

Just trying to explain this to my NT friend of 25 years is heart breaking. Had a row today about it without even meaning to. 

While a few hours early Mark Zuckerburg allows a massacre to take place allowing live online murder! :(

• it’s not Capitaliism - it’s Surveilance Capitolism. 

The new commodity is - users private data. So the way you hold the device, the speed to tap, where you use it, what emotions you have when using it. That’s the data they harvest. Not your pics or statements but what emotions you use when you type your statements. 

Anyone who who ignores the fact will be turned into a battery by the machines - lol :D 

• Hmm - not the older folk who were using computer online from early days. We had our first computer in 1981.. A ZX81 

it drives me crazy when fully grown adults are like infants on the web. Totally clueless. They may as well be completely illiterate 

• I think it's very sad how the younger generation have turned their backs on internet forums, or perceive them as old fashioned social media for greying middle-aged social inadequates to discuss model railways and warm beer, and have migrated to FB.

One person told me that the transition from dial-up BBS, to Usenet, to internet forums, to FB is merely evolution in social media, so that trying to defend internet forums or encourage more people to use them instead of FB is just as pointless and counterproductive as trying to defend dial-up BBS. My counterargument that internet forums have an advantage of being decentralised and owned by their owners whereas FB is centralised and owned by Mark Zuckerberg didn't hold any water.

Another issue I have is with anti-capitalist people and organisations using FB as a platform for discussion and dissemination. FB is run first and foremost as a profit making business and Mark Zuckerberg is an obscenely wealthy individual. Pure hypocrisy when alternative platforms exist.

• I think it's very sad how the younger generation have turned their backs on internet forums, or perceive them as old fashioned social media for greying middle-aged social inadequates to discuss model railways and warm beer, and have migrated to FB.

One person told me that the transition from dial-up BBS, to Usenet, to internet forums, to FB is merely evolution in social media, so that trying to defend internet forums or encourage more people to use them instead of FB is just as pointless and counterproductive as trying to defend dial-up BBS. My counterargument that internet forums have an advantage of being decentralised and owned by their owners whereas FB is centralised and owned by Mark Zuckerberg didn't hold any water.

Another issue I have is with anti-capitalist people and organisations using FB as a platform for discussion and dissemination. FB is run first and foremost as a profit making business and Mark Zuckerberg is an obscenely wealthy individual. Pure hypocrisy when alternative platforms exist.

Children
  • it’s not Capitaliism - it’s Surveilance Capitolism. 

The new commodity is - users private data. So the way you hold the device, the speed to tap, where you use it, what emotions you have when using it. That’s the data they harvest. Not your pics or statements but what emotions you use when you type your statements. 

Anyone who who ignores the fact will be turned into a battery by the machines - lol :D