So I went to a Quaker meeting.

Well, I didn’t actually physically go to a meeting.  The Quakers in England run an online meeting you can go attend.

Theology has always been an interest and their values broadly correspond with mine.  How you interpret those values is up to you. I sat in my bedroom, cup of camomile tea in hand and just sat quietly for twenty minutes just breathing and being still.  Some people spoke or typed suggestions/thoughts.

I felt a little uncomfortable with the words “worship” at the beginning, but you don’t have to use or like those words.  It’s a very broad Church.

How did I find it? Well, it was an really interesting experience.  It felt similiar to when I tried mediating. I would go to another online meeting again. Perhaps one day a I will go to a physical meeting.

Is anyone else a Quaker? Been to their meetings etc

Parents
  • Is was a nice experience.  I might try and go to a physical meeting.  The only trouble is they are mainly at weekends.  When I work.

• They're an interesting experience, and there's an interesting social dynamic that goes on.  Particularly who decides to stand up and speak.  But they can also be a good way of getting a reasonably quiet hour to do some random thinking!

• The point is, to ‘not’ think! Lol! And the people who get up to speak do so because they’re moved by god to speak. When I first went, a guy kept getting up to speak and I kept arguing back with him because I didn’t agree with him!!! Lol! It took me a while to understand what was going on but me and the guy ended up being good friends. 

• I didn’t know I had a view of god? And I definitely don’t have any beliefs ~ I gave them up a long time ago. 

Being autistic, of course we find thinking a worshipful activity, because we are, afterall, god’s of our own world, due to the self obsessed nature of autism, and there’s probably nobody who loves thinking more than me, I was just saying that the point of that hour, is to connect with something bigger than us, a higher power, god, or whatever, but I wasn’t saying we have to do that. We can think about what we want, but can’t we do that anywhere? 

• I didn’t know I had a view of god? And I definitely don’t have any beliefs ~ I gave them up a long time ago. 

Being autistic, of course we find thinking a worshipful activity, because we are, afterall, god’s of our own world, due to the self obsessed nature of autism, and there’s probably nobody who loves thinking more than me, I was just saying that the point of that hour, is to connect with something bigger than us, a higher power, god, or whatever, but I wasn’t saying we have to do that. We can think about what we want, but can’t we do that anywhere? 

Children
No Data