How others see us ‍♀️

I saw my health and wellbeing support worker from Reed yesterday. And something she said amazed me. 

She had a colleague sitting in with her and she turned to him and said, that she loves seeing me because my passion for life inspires her and uplifts her to such a degree, that she feels amazing for days afterwards. She said it’s like she suddenly starts seeing all the good in the world and she finds herself enjoying herself more. 

I couldn’t believe it. I’ve only seen her twice!

And both times, to my mind, I was anything but passionate about life! I thought I was rude to her. Both times. This is usual for me when I’m first in these kinds of situations. It takes me a few weeks just to know if I’m warming to them or not. I thought her ideas were ridiculous and stupid and that she clearly didn’t know me! ~ I don’t take any notice of these thoughts, by the way, meaning after the event, I know they’re not true. They are pretty standard and as far as I knew, this was the attitude I was displaying ~ that I didn’t want to be there, I hated it and her and I couldn’t wait to get out of there. 

How the hell did we go from that, to her thinking I was inspirational!!!!!

Honestly, I’m baffled. When I think I’m being nice and friendly, like at the church last week, when after only a few moments of talking to the minister, she suddenly, and to my mind, totally randomly, exploded and said she was going to walk right out of the church, hand in her resignation, because I had just destroyed everything she had ever believed in!!! I had no idea what I had said. The only thing I could remember saying, was, why don’t you kill your self. But that wasn’t as harsh as it sounds, out of context, so I know it wasn’t that, that upset her. If she was upset. I couldn’t tell. She confused the hell out of me Shrug tone1‍♀️. I couldn’t really work out what was going on. 

I wonder if everyone sees me as the opposite of what I think I am? That’s weird! 

Parents
  • On the back of this. I have just remembered, that when I’m fat, and I look in the mirror. I think I’m skinny. And when I’m, so called, skinny, I think I’m fat. I know the truth in both of these situations and I would never do any thing to try and alter either state. Although funnily enough, I find it harder to accept the truth of the skinny state. I really do think I’m fat. Not really, but when I look in the mirror. But when I’m fat and I think I’m skinny, I don’t question it. 

It’s not that I spend a lot of time thinking about this. I just find it odd, every time I look in a mirror when I’m skinny, because I think I look fat, and no matter how I look at myself, and tell myself the truth. I can’t see it. It doesn’t bother me or anything. It’s just weird. And as soon as I’m out of the mirror, I forget about it. 

I’m just wondering if it’s connected to people seeing me in the opposite way that I see myself? 

• I think maybe it’s a woman thing, we can easily believe we are too fat but not so easily believe we are skinny.

Reply Children
  • we've probably been programmed to have that psychological profile by society and the media, sadly. Most women I know think they look fat even when they don't. I've never come across the reverse though, where a woman thinks she looks skinny when she is fat.

• Yeah, that was definitely a brave attempt at getting feedback but an even wiser decision to abort mission See no evil ~ I know what my feedback from work would be Stuck out tongue closed eyesLaughingSmileyRoflYumStuck out tongue winking eye ~ although to be fair, most people tell me without me having to ask ~ weird, weird, weird, and scary, apparently!!! I’m only just realising how much people are scared of me!!!

• My therapist once talked about importance of body language and how we can come across because of our body language. And next day at work I asked everybody how I come across. But all of them were polite and avoided answering my question (only one person admitted, when confronted, that I  come across as “weird,sometimes a bit rude”) I stopped asking people.

• It’s not a major thing. It just seems curious. But what you said has got me thinking about it in a slightly different way, as well now. I was just wondering really, if it was connected to me thinking I’m behaving in one way, and others seeing me in a different way. I just wondered if there was a connection. 

I’ll be going around asking everybody now, how I’m coming across! Lol! As if I don’t ask weird enough questions as it is! 

• p.s. is that a stereotype Point up tone3 i.e. saying it’s a ‘woman thing’? Or is it somehow true, that when a woman looks in the mirror when she is fat, she sees a skinny person and when she looks in the mirror when she’s skinny, she looks fat? It’s not that I think, oh god, I look fat. It’s more like, that’s weird, I know I’m skinny but I don’t look it somehow. And I think that’s what you’re saying also. So are we thinking that it’s a psychological profile of a woman to see herself as the opposite size to what she really is, when she looks in the mirror? Or have we somehow been programmed to have that psychological profile? 

• I’m not sure about this one. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it?

• No, I can never believe I’m fat! When I’m fat, I honestly think I’m skinny, but when I’m skinny and I look in the mirror, I look fat. It’s weird. I don’t care what it is in actual fact, meaning I don’t care if I’m skinny or fat. I’ve been fat and skinny and I love both. I’m more used to being skinny but when I was fat, I really loved it because I had curves, like a real woman! Lol! I really loved it. But I’m more used to my skinny boy figure, so although it’s not particularly feminine, I like it because it feels more like me. But I can’t keep my hands off myself when I’m fat, lol, and I love looking at myself in the mirror. But I don’t look fat at all. To me, I look like a gorgeous slender woman, but in reality, looking back on photos and the size of the clothes I was wearing, I was fat! Lol! But when I’m skinny, I actually look fat, even though I know I’m not. It’s weird. I wouldn’t do anything to change either state, such as eat more or less food or anything. It’s just one of those curious things that capture my interest.