What book are you reading now?

I decided that I needed a new book to read and managed to find one on my bookshelf that I’d only half read so thought I’d finish it off: Tower, An epic History of the Tower of London by Nigel Jones. I just wondered what everyone else is reading at the moment? What does everyone else like to read?

Parents
  • Currently in various stages of progress:

* The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar and Rhetoric by Sister Miriam Joseph.

* Understanding Numbers in Elementary School Mathematics by Hung-Hsi Wu.

* Teaching Students How To Learn: Strategies You Can Incorporate in Any Course to Improve Student Metacognition, Study Skills and Motivation by  Saundra Yancy McGuire, Stephanie McGuire.

* Metaphysics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) by Stephen Mumford.

* The course texts for the OU course I'm registered on that starts properly at the beginning of February.

• That all sounds very philosophical. I hope that you enjoy reading them and doing your course. I need to get back into studying again at some point, maybe once the youngest starts school. What course are you going to be studying?

• The Trivium book is very interesting but quite a hard read for me - a lot of it not my area.  But I'm learning interesting things from it so it's good.  The metaphysics book was because the trivium books so far has talked a lot about metaphysics, which I didn't really know anything about so I thought it would be helpful to get a bit more of an idea of what it involved.

I'm enrolled on a BSc. Mathematics degree, this course is the first level 1 course "Discovering Mathematics".  It's quite basic but I'm aware I have quite a few gaps in my knowledge so I thought I'd use this to find out what I didn't know and it should be a reasonably stress-less way back into studying.

• I'm more inclined to some of the more pure stuff, but I'm pondering how much applied I should do.  Luckily at this point it's not too much of an issue since level 1 and level 2 you don't really get much choice.  So that's probably a question for about 4 years away!

I think I'm so far most looking forward to the calculus/analysis parts.

• I'm more inclined to some of the more pure stuff, but I'm pondering how much applied I should do.  Luckily at this point it's not too much of an issue since level 1 and level 2 you don't really get much choice.  So that's probably a question for about 4 years away!

I think I'm so far most looking forward to the calculus/analysis parts.

Children