Mishear & Misread

Does anyone else suffer from my problems?

Where I mishear or misread something.

The latest incident is a BBC website  article, where I initially read.

Call to exclude pupils with ASD.

It actually read.

Call to test excluded pupils for ADHD.

Very different!

I often watch DVDs with subtitles.  And when I'm unsure of what was said or written I rewind and listen/read again.  And the second time round it's different.

Parents Reply
  • There are many universal truths, ask Einstein,

And that is where you are wrong.  Very little of what people call "scientific fact" is in fact incontrovertibly true.  Einstein would be the first person to tell you that.  Scientific theories are just hypotheses which, by consensus, are agreed to be the best known explanation for particular phenomenon.  But by their nature, scientific hypotheses / theories are falsifiable.  That is to say it is possible to potentially find instances where what the hypothesis / theory predicts something that turns out to be not what is actually observed to happen.

Case in point.  There was this young whippersnapper called Isaac Newton who postulated his "Universal law gravitation".  He was able to provide strong experimental evidence for his hypothesis, and others were able to repeat his results, and also his law to make predictions of other phenomenon which matched the predictions.  So Newton's hypothesis of gravity became an accepted theory.  That was fine until a few hundred years later when another young whippersnapper called Albert Einstein came along and said "Newton's universal law of gravity is all fine and dandy, but actually it doesn't work in these circumstances.  Instead I propose Einstein's general relativity to replace Newton's law as a better model".

But we already know that Einstein's model is wrong, because it doesn't match with our best understanding of the microscopic world of the makeup of matter called "The Standard Model".  And all our experimental evidence to date suggests that the standard model is correct.  So that tells us that neither general relativity, nor the standard model are correct, because they don't consistently predict the same outcomes.  In other words, we know that much of the basis of modern physics is wrong, because our two best models don't play together.

But that's fine, because we can still use these models to predict much that is of use, but we know that they are not the be all and end all and universal truths, because actually we know that they are wrong.

but poverty is an experience that a person has when they believe the thought that they’re living in poverty.

And again, this is where you are wrong.  What you are asserting is not the universal truth that you believe it is.  What you claiming is that if you define poverty in the way that you like to define it, which I can absolutely guarantee you is not a definition with any consensus behind it, then that is true.  So it is not true that poverty doesn't exist because it's all a figment of your imagination, because the majority of people in the world don't accept that definition.

Children