Libraries

When I was young I used to enjoy visits to libraries, they were a place of refuge.  Peaceful, quiet, a nice atmosphere, the smell of books.  And I enjoyed reading.

Now Dizzy face .it's all changed.

My local library ( as have most of the libraries in the city)      has been refurbished and renamed a community hub.

Now there are few books, .lots of computers, uniformed security guards, meeting rooms, help and advice experts on council services, jobs & benefits.  And finally the local post office has closed down and moved into this library itself.

On one side of the room there is a bookcase and next to it a queue of people using the post office.

I miss the old traditional libraries. With wooden bookshelves, books, a librarian and cardboard library tickets in books with dated stamps.

Parents
  • A post office in a library. What a bizarre idea.

Although I like reading, I've always found libraries quite overwhelming places. Too much choice maybe? I'm also not very good at finding things. Even in a really logical system I can't find what I'm looking for.

I also don't like really quiet places. Although busy and loud is too much for me. I find silence really unsettling. I like background noise. The only place I read is in my bed.

It is a shame though, for those that did enjoy visiting the library that they have changed so much.

• One of our post offices is in a pub now! The post woman comes with a little money box and just takes a pew and the people line up! I expect one or two might grab a pint while they’re at it! 

• In a pub? That's just crazy. I understand postoffices being within shops but libraries and pubs? What is this insanity?!?!?

Reply Children